Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for some new saxophone music.
I'll do my best to explain what I'm looking for. I apologize for my lack of knowledge on what to label styles.

I'm trying to find something different from the traditional sax that I hear. The easiest way to describe it for me it is, super fast and kind of all over the place.

I'm sure it's not actually "all over the place" to a trained ear.

I'm just looking for something different. Maybe more chill and melodic.

I've been listening to some RetroPop or RetroSynth and it is very sax heavy. 'The Midnight' and 'Gunship' are two that come to mind with good saxophone. That stuff rocks

Another album I've been liking is Shabaka and the Ancestors.

So if anything comes to mind with my vague criteria, I'd love to hear it

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
So… you're looking for jazz music?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idk sure...?
When I listen to some of the big names I get alot of this crazy fast sporadic type stuff. Which is amazing, but not really something I enjoy listening too.

It's tough for me to explain as I'm pretty new to branching out to different music styles or genres.
I am not sure what style jazz I'd like.
I feel like I want to say I'm looking for some dope chill saxophone that is maybe accompanied with some cool unique Beats
Or maybe even some pop style jams with saxophone

Idk, sorry. It's difficult for me to precisely put into words for y'all.
I was just hoping for some ideas to get kicked around.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
" . . . dope chill saxophone . . ."

Huh? DAVE
Well....... Just in case you're not familiar with the slang term dope...

It basically translates to cool. It's a positive adjective in this sense. I followed it up with the word chill to emphasize that I wasn't looking for something extremely dope.

Things can be different levels of dope.
Like a double backflip off a thirty foot cliff on a snowboard is extremely dope.

But cruising some deep powder turns listening to your favorite jams is pretty dope. And chill.

See what I mean?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love how SOTW brings together all generations. Check out Stan Getz on any of his bossa nova stuff. Nothing crazy or sporadic. All melodic and flowing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,956 Posts
.....The easiest way to describe it for me it is, super fast and kind of all over the place........

........Maybe more chill and melodic.
Can you do a bit better than these descriptors ? Because, to me, they actually are sorta opposites....the first implies sort of free form, esoteric; while the second implies something far more conventional.

It basically translates to cool. It's a positive adjective in this sense. I followed it up with the word chill to emphasize that I wasn't looking for something extremely dope.

Things can be different levels of dope.
Like a double backflip off a thirty foot cliff on a snowboard is extremely dope.

But cruising some deep powder turns listening to your favorite jams is pretty dope. And chill.

See what I mean?
OK, it's a start...keep trying to get to a more focused definition/intent.

Also...is this for a One Sax band ? Or multiple horns ????

Clarification would be helpful to potential responders....

·
17,956 Posts
I mean, you could move in a non-western or east-west hybrid direction, like this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ethiopique+saxophone

Which I don't consider chill or melodic. But it's fookin' cool and has its own sorta groove to it.

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRjf6UIx-to&list=PLnIjDb8t6EJP7dvQwm97lwTQbGf4hHQMt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgOhy71noWA&list=PLCOPd0NeQTPYY45DkwcnFTAtj5g7PGqNG

....which I consider both chill and melodic (give an ear to all the cuts, most are sax-heavy).

Now, pondering your question a bit more...lemme say: I understand that - to you young whippersnappers - musical genres as such are far less defined/important than they were to us fogies...so maybe, upon second thought, the more eccentric and varied the suggestions here...the better....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Jaye: Being a trad-jazz guy, I wouldn't have expected to like those clips you posted. Still, I enjoyed them.

They brought to my mind a series of recordings Sidney Bechet made of Haitian music. Not MY favorite Bechet music, for sure, yet any time I hear Bechet, I'm okay with it.

The first link you posted (the maybe-Egyptian tenor sax) was especially interesting given the guy's strong vibrato and very woody tone.

As for the OP, you seem to be able to express yourself in plain English. This site is open to anyone reading and posting, so I can "worry" about it if I care to do so. May I suggest that you avoid the psuedo-hipster jargon. NOTHING in my life translates to "dope" other than handcuffs.

If you like good saxophone playing filled with technical skill, maybe you should check out Al Gallodoro's recordings. DAVE

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Come on Dave . . . Just because the OP uses the same language as my adult son does, and which seems not to be your vocabulary, is no reason to be so rough on the guy. Dope, as an expression meaning cool, has been around so long it’s already old.

What next, shouting “get off my lawn” perhaps? “Don’t use words in a way I don’t like,” even though it is a common usage?

Language changes, it evolves. And originally, dope was and remains a form of glue. It was adopted as slang for drugs, but that is not its only meaning. And new meanings that evolve are ok too. That’s how language works.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
Come on Dave . . . Just because the OP uses the same language as my adult son does, and which seems not to be your vocabulary, is no reason to be so rough on the guy. Dope, as an expression meaning cool, has been around so long it’s already old.

What next, shouting “get off my lawn” perhaps? “Don’t use words in a way I don’t like,” even though it is a common usage?
No, both you and Dave are making good points.

But this is an international forum and used by all ages, races, persuasions so everyone should respect that and post in a way that makes sense to most people.

It's actually in the rules from years ago that posts must be in English , attempt to be good grammar and not internet slang (used to be called l33tspeak and text speak I think?)

I know to an extent what the OP means, but I'm sure it gets lost on and possibly and confuses some of our non-native English speakers here so we should actually be aware of that. Fine to use the colloquial stuff with your buddies, but on the forum we should stick to plain English and be able to do that without being ultra conservative.

The OP should try harder to use language that a broader circle of people would understand. If that is not possible, then you are alienating a lot of very knowledgeable people from all walks of life who can really help you, otherwise you will be stuck just asking a very small section of society and probably not learn as much.

Having said that, will everyone get off my lawn.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Good points Pete, and I would only quibble slightly with your wording = "The OP should try harder to use language that a broader circle of [older] people would understand"

:mrgreen::bluewink:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
Good points Pete, and I would only quibble slightly with your wording = "The OP should try harder to use language that a broader circle of [older] people would understand"

:mrgreen::bluewink:
Well, it's not just older people, it's also people who don't speak English as a native language.

They may be using Google translate.

Dope chill saxophone to Arabic = مخدر البرد ساكسفون

مخدر البرد ساكسفون to English = Cold Anesthetic saxophone.

Translate Cold Anesthetic saxophone to Khazak and back again via latin and Esperanto, and you get "Get off my lawn" (Which in Khazakstan is a very big lawn)

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,888 Posts
Sometimes when I don't get to bed soon enough after taking a sleeping pill, I play some pretty dope stuff that might also be chill. Haven't recorded much of it though.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Sometimes when I don't get to bed soon enough after taking a sleeping pill, I play some pretty dope stuff that might also be chill. Haven't recorded much of it though.
Hope you are using melatonin for sleep regulating.

·
17,956 Posts
Jaye: Being a trad-jazz guy, I wouldn't have expected to like those clips you posted. Still, I enjoyed them.

They brought to my mind a series of recordings Sidney Bechet made of Haitian music. Not MY favorite Bechet music, for sure, yet any time I hear Bechet, I'm okay with it.
Yeah, it's interesting stuff, right ? We so associate the instrument with Jazz, that it can be kinda refreshing to hear it in a different genre or context. I had a customer in PDX who had been getting into Ethiopique, even was in a full band dedicated to it.
Abdullah is sort of a hybrid Jazz-African, so the stuff is more familiar; he is just such a good composer and sets a great, steady groove behind his horns.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am very pleased with how this post is going. (I shall refrain from saying I'm "stoked") I'm receiving many different options for new saxophone music to listen to. Thank you.
I have been at work most of the day and haven't had a chance to really get into all of the YouTube internet links. I have listened to Stan Getz Bossa Nova and enjoyed that.

I will get to all the other suggestions soon!

I apologize for my original attempt at a lighthearted post from an inexperienced forum user and rookie saxophone music fan.
And my attempt to jokingly explain what I meant by 'dope'.

If you like good saxophone playing filled with technical skill, maybe you should check out Al Gallodoro's recordings. DAVE
But hey look, Dave. You got some enjoyment out of the post! Thank you for suggesting something to listen to.

*Stoked equals happy/excited.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glad you liked the Bossa Nova stuff Hawee. Brazilians definitely have some different approaches, and I like the laid back style. There's all kinds of cool Latin styles to draw inspiration from.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts