Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations for a clip-on mic and some effect pedals to help make things interesting. I play mostly tenor, with a little bari and alto mixed in occasionally. I was thinking about maybe an octave pedal and a loop pedal, but I have no idea where to even begin looking. My budget isn't extremely high so I expect to have to sacrifice quality a little for affordability.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
http://horn-fx.com has great advice and reviews. They recently led me to buy a used TC Quintessence Harmonizer off of Reverb that I'm really enjoying. If you look around, you can get some great deals. You have to think a bit about impedance, though, and whether you're sending out to a PA or a sound board.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use a POG 2 from Eletrco Harmonix. Its gives you several options for adding octaves above and below your signal output along with 3 tone adjustments, the ability to blend the output levels and 4 selection boost button. It's a bit spendy, so you may want to check out the micro-POG to get started. I also highly recommend a wah pedal. I prefer the Dunlop Crybaby 535Q as it has an adjustment on the side and a signal boost option - although try and get one with lights on it so you know when it's on.

I've messed around with distortion and fuzz pedals, but they really don't do much to the sax.

As for loop pedals. I personally use the BOSS RC-300 (started on the RC-50). I'd highly recommend a multi-channel looper as you'll want one pretty quick after getting a single channel. Although the digi-tech Jamman XT is a very cool pedal that you can chain together. So you can start with one, and then keep adding pedals in the chain until you don't need any more channels. If I could do i t over, I'd go that route.

There's also KAOSS pads that are samplers and loopers that have a variety of other functions from being effect processors to tone generators - although their looping and sampling abilities are extremely limited. But if I'm doing a short show, like an hour or so, I'll just bring a KAOSS pad and keep the loops short and use the built in beats and sounds to get funky.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Although the digi-tech Jamman XT is a very cool pedal that you can chain together. So you can start with one, and then keep adding pedals in the chain until you don't need any more channels. If I could do i t over, I'd go that route.
Noah, can I ask why you'd prefer chained Jamman XT's over the RC-300? I'm looking around for a looper, and was considering maybe the Electro-Harmonix 22500, which allows dual loops.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'm also considering a Pigtronix Infinity looper as a possible alternative to the Electro-Harmonix 22500. They're about the same price when you add in the extra EHX footswitch, which most reviewers say is essential for live looping on the 22500. Anyone have a preference or alternate suggestion?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I use TC Helicon Voicelive play for effects, from simple reverb, to a whole orchestra of harmonies. So much to play with. And easy to cycle thru your saved setup, or turn on/off of effects.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I use TC Helicon Voicelive play for effects, from simple reverb, to a whole orchestra of harmonies.
Yeah, TC makes great kit.

As for finding a looper (and I hope this interests the OP), I've done some more reading, and am not sure about a dedicated pedal anymore. Folks really seem to like the Loopy iPad app. I've used it, and can see why, so am now considering trying Loopy with an iRig PRO DUO, Blueboard BT pedals, and a mic stand holder for the iPad. All that's still about the same cost as a dedicated dual looper pedal, assuming you already have an iOS device.

The upside is that the same hardware can be used with other apps to achieve additional effects and functions. On the downside, it's all tied to the iOS platform, which will doubtless grow obsolete much faster than any pedal. (And I guess there's also the risk of knocking over the mic stand and smashing your iPad, which isn't as sturdy as a dedicated pedal.)

Does anyone have opinions about either Loopy in particular, or the relative merits of using pedals vs apps for effects?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I use an RC505 which has an FX processor (3 FX at a time) and is a five track looper.

You can check out some of my recent videos to give you an idea. I haven't used the octaver in it much but it seems to work ok. Mostly I use reverb and delay.

On of my videos is in my signature.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Never did buy a Pigtronix looper, but I just scored a cheap Pigtronix Ringmaster ring modulator on feePay. Can't wait to play with this bad boy.

They still have a few left at US$99, if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This tread covers the topic also. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?252738-Best-most-useful-fun-effects-box-for-sax-mic
Since I had the iPad and other sax/clarinet interface and amp stuff, I started exploring iOS effects to determine the type of effect I would actually use rather that spending sax dollars on pedals that I would use about 1% of their capabilities. The iPad was already a part of my gig rig and I have found what I was looking for less than one sax buck ($40).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good morning,

I´d like to have some basic effects for my tenor. We play Pink Floyd and stuff like that. I´m not deep into all the available gear and effects, and the Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 caught my eye. Should give me some basic reverb and echo and seems pretty easy to use. Does that make sense, or should I get sth more advanced like the Helicon Voicelive Play or Touch? I just don´t want to spend more time on effects than on practice. Best from Germany!
https://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_helicon_mic_mechanic_2.htm

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Good morning,

I´d like to have some basic effects for my tenor. We play Pink Floyd and stuff like that. I´m not deep into all the available gear and effects, and the Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 caught my eye. Should give me some basic reverb and echo and seems pretty easy to use. Does that make sense, or should I get sth more advanced like the Helicon Voicelive Play or Touch? I just don´t want to spend more time on effects than on practice. Best from Germany!
https://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_helicon_mic_mechanic_2.htm
I use a SM57 and stand. I'm trying out a Mic Mechanic (version 1) by TC Helicon, mostly for the slapback. Got it cheap, used. Its working, and I like it. Definitely have to have delay for Young American, Money, etc.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know there's great flexibility in using different pedals for dedicated effects but I've been using an all-in-one from Zoom, A1X Four. it ships w/ an xlr adaptor for use with mics and has a great range of very usable effects. the octave effect is easy to set/adjust, the reverbs are very natural, etc. has a short looper that I haven't explored yet.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Agreed. I just received an inexpensive Zoom MS-50G yesterday. With upgraded firmware, it holds over 170 effects, including vintage and lo-fi fx, and some really far-out mods and choruses. Still working through the list, but they all sound pretty good so far. Best of all, you can chain up to 6 effects into one of 50 different patches, each of which acts like its own mini pedalboard. Cycle through the patches, and you can have a different combo of fx for every song. Pretty intuitive interface, too, unlike the TC Voicelive box that it replaces.

That said, my favourite pedals at the moment are still dedicated boxes--my TC Quintessence harmonizer, Red Panda Tensor and Alexander Syntax Error. The latter two are quite deep, and allow a lot of flexibility for the small number of effects that each provides.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Agreed. I just received an inexpensive Zoom MS-50G yesterday. With upgraded firmware, it holds over 170 effects, including vintage and lo-fi fx, and some really far-out mods and choruses. Still working through the list, but they all sound pretty good so far. Best of all, you can chain up to 6 effects into one of 50 different patches, each of which acts like its own mini pedalboard. Cycle through the patches, and you can have a different combo of fx for every song. Pretty intuitive interface, too, unlike the TC Voicelive box that it replaces.

That said, my favourite pedals at the moment are still dedicated boxes--my TC Quintessence harmonizer, Red Panda Tensor and Alexander Syntax Error. The latter two are quite deep, and allow a lot of flexibility for the small number of effects that each provides.
The Red Panda seems really cool. I'm picking up an Eventide PitchFactor soon, will be fun to play around with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts