Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started goofing around on an alto saxophone a couple weeks ago. I was so surprised at how easy it was to get sound out of it that I have been reading everything I can and playing every day.

I think I'd like to actually learn how to play!

I was thinking about finding someone in the area to set me off on a sound footing. Maybe a college saxophone player or, if I can find one, an actual teacher, who won't ask for a long term commitment (I spoke with one locally who would only work with me if I signed a minimum 6 month contract).

If anyone has any leads let me know.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Contact the head of the saxophone department at GVSU. They can put you in contact with viable teaching candidates from the Instrumental Ed and Performance majors. The heads of the trumpet and oboe departments were VERY helpful when I was looking for teachers for 2 of my daughters. The 'teachers' were quite good and not expensive at that time.
I know Meyer Music offers lessons, but they may have been who you already contacted.
Marshall Music might be worth a call, and there is a place on Plainfield and 4 Mile. I think it's called West Michigan Band something now. It used to be Middletons Music. I know the owners, but don't especially recommend them.
These are off the top of my head, but I will try to think of other options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts