Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, tenor players,

Awhile ago, I caught wind of this cool guy named Ken Barry and a little mouthpiece company called Saxscape. I've been casually looking for deals on these pieces for a couple years on and off now, and I think I'm ready to buckle down and buy one. I'm interested in hearing about any of the models they have produced, including prototypes and B-stock. Really, I'm just itching to try one of these things - the consensus has seemed to be great. I'm particularly fascinated by the Naima, Fatcat, Slant, Downtown, Uptown NF, and Xtra Dark, but I'm interested in hearing about all models, so if any of you guys have a Saxscape piece, post some thoughts! If you're interested in selling, I'm about to put up a thread in the marketplace.

Edit: No thread going up in the marketplace; my account is too young, and I don't have enough posts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
First of all, I recommend you stay away from the Saxscape B stock pieces in spite of whatever anyone else says. My first hand experience with the two that I had is that they absolutely sucked. I picked them up for around 40 bucks each on EBay 5-6 years ago. They were made out of some sort of alternative material that was softer and crappier that the regular one I got. Stay away!

I have a Downtown .110" tip standard body that Ken made especially for me. It is the model with the Miami Dukoff vibe. This mouthpiece a flat out monster player in every way... The finish work, material, the tip and rails, etc. I believe you can't make a special thing like this unless you truly put your heart into it. I did some gigs on it and it an it is simply flawless... All that being said I have a lot of really great stuff here and for R&B gigs have settled into my customized old brass M2 Ponzols, which are quite similar but for me more comfortable in the mouth...they are metal and they smaller... But very very close in sound and response. PM me if interested. Thanks and best of luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
I have 2 prototype Slant 7s and they are not the same. The chambers and baffles differ. The first one I got was so amazing that I snagged another, but it does not suit me as well. However, I only paid about $50 each and even the second one is a very good mpc and might be perfect for someone else. In addition, after trying about a hundred mpcs, I finally settled on a Saxscape Hudson prototype (with an sliver sawed off the end) for my Conn straight neck C Mel. The delrin material on the ones I have seems very stable and sturdy. They are not polished, but the facings, tips and rails are clean and even.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I actually have all of Ken's finalized models at my shop! As far as I know, we're the only distributor of them, and Ken's partner works here as well. If anyone has any questions on them PM me, I'd gladly go over the models of them. I'm playing on one myself!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone has any questions on them PM me, I'd gladly go over the models of them. I'm playing on one myself!
Would you mind giving us a rundown of your perspective on the models here? You must be from Liberty Music! Says you're from NJ.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Indeed I am! Sure I'll give it a shot.

Red River: I play on something very similar to this that they don't make anymore, but this is a pretty bright and powerful mouthpiece. You can play really loud on it easily, or soft, and it doesn't sound too bright! This is my favorite of the pieces.

Fat Cat: This is like the red river with a bit less baffle, but still some. Think hard rubber link with an edge on it.

Live: To me, this one is like an Otto Link STM and Guardala had a baby. It has power and volume, but still has a nice dark core with it.

Gainesville: This is like a really good metal Link. If you like a dark rich sound this is the one for you.

Downtown: This is the brightest, loudest mouthpiece of the bunch, with a Dukoff inspiration.

That's all the models I have here, I hope I helped with my descriptions!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed I am! Sure I'll give it a shot.

Red River: I play on something very similar to this that they don't make anymore, but this is a pretty bright and powerful mouthpiece. You can play really loud on it easily, or soft, and it doesn't sound too bright! This is my favorite of the pieces.

Fat Cat: This is like the red river with a bit less baffle, but still some. Think hard rubber link with an edge on it.

Live: To me, this one is like an Otto Link STM and Guardala had a baby. It has power and volume, but still has a nice dark core with it.

Gainesville: This is like a really good metal Link. If you like a dark rich sound this is the one for you.

Downtown: This is the brightest, loudest mouthpiece of the bunch, with a Dukoff inspiration.

That's all the models I have here, I hope I helped with my descriptions!
Thank you very much for your input!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the red river and it is a great all around piece. Like the post above, I also find it fairly similar to an old ponzol M2 brass when pushed, but is a little fatter throughout the range of the horn. Altissimo is easy and it can produce a great subtone. I played through all the models at Liberty- which is a great place to play mouthpieces and talk to guys that really know horns- Highly recommend checking them out.

·
1,365 Posts
I had a Red River for a while- nicley made- very Berg Larsen sort of vibe ot it...

·
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
I bougth around 20 of Ken's prototype mouthpieces. Here're my impressions:
Xtra Dark: It has a Selmer vibe, mostly due the same chamber design. It's a mellow mouthpiece but you can push it and get projection enough because the great facing of these mouthpieces.
Fat Cat: One of my favorites. It's a "middle of the road" mouthpiece. It sounds similar to a good Otto Link should be but with a bit more of edge. Internal size is a bit bigger than the SL but the more pronunced rollover makes it sounds more spread than the SL. In this video I play a Fat Cat with a Hahn reed, saxophone is a Buescher Big B.
SL or Slant: This is my favorite Saxscape mouthpiece. Great balance between power and warm. Very focussed. This is me playing a Slant on a couple of videos:
. The saxophone is a Holton 241 which I bought from a SOTW fellow. The reeds I used were one of my prototypes (first link) and a Legere (second link).
Downtown or Downtown Studio: It's based on Guardala MB1 internal design. It's a great rock and roll mouthpiece, a good choice when you need projection and edge. However, it's too bright for my tastes. I do prefer a metal Berg Larsen for this kind of situations.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have a Saxscape Prototype Downtown and Xtra Dark, both made of Delrin, available for sale.

Delrin is a very strong, stable material, well-suited for mouthpieces. A lot of heavy duty, expensive, tech diving LED flashlights with LIon batteries rated to 300 foot depth are made of Delrin.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've played 3 saxscape tenor mouthpieces:
SL/Slant: Beautiful full traditional jazz sound. I use this for big band or traditional jazz settings.
Hudson: Really freaking bright. I found that this was a bit difficult to control when playing really loud.
Downtown: Very bright but controllable. I use this for my rock gigs.

They're all prototypes, and the quality control (even on the prototypes) is better than any production Dukoff or Berg Larson I've seen. A true bargain in mouthpieces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts