Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been using the oleg high e stopper for years now and its been incredible, I just love it. After watching a video of Ben Wendel recently, who i always thought was using the e stopper as well, I noticed that he is actually using the set of 3 risers on the high e, trill c and side Bb keys. I've never tried this part before and I feel as thought it might feel strange to have risers on those keys. Has anyone tried this set of 3 before or is anyone currently using this on their horn? Would love to hear some reviews if anyone has tried it, thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah, those risers are clearly visible in the photo on the home page of his website. I only use the high E stopper, so I can't help with reviewing the other two (2). Although, through the years, I've seen guys add cork to those key in order to raise them. So for some, as with Wendel, raising them seems to work well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got a few Oleg products on my Mark VI alto and am very happy with them. I have larger hands so I've put the Oleg skyscraper palm key risers on as well as the side key risers you've mentioned. I like that they fit on very secure, blend in well to the instrument as if they belong there, and are not permanent. I don't expect to have to change saxophones but it is still nice to be able to remove them if needed.

They do make quite a difference and it *could* be easy to inadvertently hit the side keys when you don't want to. So, make sure you have the hand clearance room before putting them on. Since they are not permanent, easy to remove if you don't like them but since they are expensive, you want to be wary of that too. I found the top side key, the E, was trick to get on. It was a lot of jiggling to get it to slide up to they key but it did certainly work. For some reason, the set screws in the E did not screw down as far as the side C and side Bb. So, those set screws stick out about a millimetre compared to the other set screws. Not a big deal.

I also have the low C extension, also by Oleg. I found that too is nice for larger hands. Oleg does a good job with these for sure.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a few Oleg products on my Mark VI alto and am very happy with them. I have larger hands so I've put the Oleg skyscraper palm key risers on as well as the side key risers you've mentioned. I like that they fit on very secure, blend in well to the instrument as if they belong there, and are not permanent. I don't expect to have to change saxophones but it is still nice to be able to remove them if needed.

They do make quite a difference and it *could* be easy to inadvertently hit the side keys when you don't want to. So, make sure you have the hand clearance room before putting them on. Since they are not permanent, easy to remove if you don't like them but since they are expensive, you want to be wary of that too. I found the top side key, the E, was trick to get on. It was a lot of jiggling to get it to slide up to they key but it did certainly work. For some reason, the set screws in the E did not screw down as far as the side C and side Bb. So, those set screws stick out about a millimetre compared to the other set screws. Not a big deal.

I also have the low C extension, also by Oleg. I found that too is nice for larger hands. Oleg does a good job with these for sure.
Thanks so much for the review! I just tried what you suggested regarding the side trill key risers, and I think they would in fact be too big. The amount of space I naturally keep from my hand to the side Bb is too small to have that key on there so I'l just stick with my high E stopper for now. Thanks again, super helpful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts