Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want some reverb on a gig I usually have to take my powered amp and use the preset reverb effects - cathedral, hall, stage...whatever. If I am playing a trio or quartet gig the equipment isn't really needed. Trying to cut down on the amount and size of gear if possible.

So, is there a pedal that will provide good reverb effects for a miked sax that I can just run through a small amp? I'm presuming it would need to be a guitar pedal of some sort.

I have a Vocal 300 that I have used in a pinch and have played with the reverb effects a bit but I find the effect a bit too 'tinny' and 'cold' v what my amp presets provide.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
digitech vocal 300 . Can be programmed and customized. Has many presets. I use my for reverb/delay and as a gas pedal for solos. Got a used one of amazon for $160 bucks.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
I second the thumbs up for the vocal 300. It requires some trial and error programming and you to allow more volume on stage you might also consider a separate gain control direct box to avoid feedback. I use an L.R. Baggs Acoustic DI.

What amp and microphone are you playing it through?

B

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My usual set up when I need to be on mic for a small group gig is a Sure Beta57A and a Peavey KB2. I have played with the controls somewhat on my Vocal 300 but wish for a somewhat 'warmer' reverb sound. Do you have some suggestions about what settings you are using on your Vocal 300? And what preset are you initially using to then adjust?

As I noted in the post, I have the Vocal 300 and have not been all that happy with the sounds I have gotten on reverb.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
My usual set up when I need to be on mic for a small group gig is a Sure Beta57A and a Peavey KB2. I have played with the controls somewhat on my Vocal 300 but wish for a somewhat 'warmer' reverb sound. Do you have some suggestions about what settings you are using on your Vocal 300? And what preset are you initially using to then adjust?

As I noted in the post, I have the Vocal 300 and have not been all that happy with the sounds I have gotten on reverb.
Understood you own the 300 and not happy.

My question is do you know how to program changes to each aspect of a certain effect on the left side "input clip" using the select and store buttons.

Assuming you do, I would program a basic compression setting, with some midrange and low eq, with reverb and add just a touch of damping to your reverb. Slow the rate of the reverb down as slow as you can so you get less of that metal sound.

That is what I did but I also combine reverb and delay along with compression because I need some slap back since I am playing funk/jazz.

B

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion Modman. Yes, sorry, didn't mean you since I saw that you read my first post correctly. I have played with the select and store somewhat and will try what you are suggesting. Did you start with any specific preset - such as Vocaly or whatever - or does that matter once you start changing the settings? I'm probably just not patient enough so far!!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
Take the time to read the operating manual. If you do not have one as I did not having purchased it used, there are on-line downloads for it.

As far as setting up what I needed for performances I started fresh and experimented until I found what I was requiring. It took a couple of weeks to learn the system and play through it.

Also refer to YouTube for more instruction. There are always tutorials on almost anything there.

B

·
Registered
987 Posts
TC Electronics vocalist - has some excellent (programmable) reverbs as well as excellent delays. Small, easily set up and programmed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can anyone tell me how the Digitech Vocal 300 would compare to the Lexicon MPX 110 Multi Effects Processor? The Lexicon is listed on Eric Marienthal's equipment list on his website. I love Marienthal's tone, and I'm thinking it is time to buy a reverb unit to fatten up my sound, especially in venues where the sound system does not have a decent reverb. Is this a fairly common practice, to ad your own reverb to your sax tone? I'm sure I would like the tone of the Lexicon, but I don't know if I want to lug a big unit like that around to gigs, so I'm thinking the Digitech would be a better option if the quality is as good as the Lexicon. I know they discontinued the Lexicons, but I'm thinking about buying a used one online.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
The Line6 Verbzilla is a good one too, solid build, and part of the Tone Core series so you can buy 1-2 "bases" & power and then buy modules like their Space Echo, Echo Park, Verbzilla, etc. and plug in what one you want to use.

If you're willing to look for vintage gear, a Roland Space Echo tape echo, but they're high-maint. The real nice piece was Roland's first attempt at a digital version of the tape echo, the Roland Digital Space Echo RE-3. Hard to find but worth the hunt. Possibly the best digital reverb ever made. It is a rack unit and has mic and line input, reverb, plus echo intensity and you can just turn up the reverb and leave the rest down.

T.C. Electronic have several options for you:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/GuitarEffects.asp

The Nova reverb pedal looks great!

http://www.tcelectronic.com/NovaReverb.asp

·
Registered
155 Posts
The reverbs on the lexicon are definitely better, but the convenience of the 300 for live use trumps it for me. (built in mike pre and stomp peddles). I do wish the vocal 300 was a little higher quality, could be stomped without having to look down at it, and had a delay tempo tap button. And I'm always bumping it with my shoe and accidentally cycling through the presets. I'm waiting for the vocal 500 ;)

To start using rack equipment it would require a lot more stuff to be hauled around (mike pre, rack, more power strips, cables) and some way to control it with a footswitch? That seems to be the next step up from the 300 though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I use Ableton Live on my laptop. Once you've got it down, the applications are endless... looper, every effect you want, midi instruments.
May be too much to use it just for reverb, but you'd never have to gear up again if you want something else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
I would never recommend anything Digitech. Thin sounding stuff, the only good unit they made was the first Whammy. (Not the later one with the MIDI input) For reverb, I'd go with a Lexicon like the MX400 or something like that. Or do as Abercrombie does, and use two delays. Much clearer sound, and easier to adapt to different circumstances.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's kinda pricey but a great unit. The new Eventide Space pedal sounds good and has a switch for line or instrument level so you can plug a mic straight in, no mixer needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts