Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, everyone. Lately, I've acquired a different jazz taste than I generally looked after, and I was wondering if anyone could fuel my craving.

I am starting to fall in love with fast, wild solos, with crazy altissimo, and just really cool funk things. For example, I love the way Alex Han plays his alto, or Pickett's project, "The Thing", or when Cuber plays anything on the bari.

Anyone happen to know any players (ATB) that I might get a kick out of? Thanks =].

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pK5xR90Pfuo

This is pretty much what I mean, just listen if you haven't already.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice! His sound is just great, but I want something wilder! Anyone got any ideas? Stir'n it up is close, just...more! :D Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Brecker Brothers (Michael Breckor on Tenor)
David Sanborn - get the CD Change of Heart

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, yeah of course man, I love Brecker- He was one of the first sax players I ever listened too. You know what it is? I'm just getting sick of the timbre of the tenor lately. I'm starting to lean towards bari (obviously, lol) and alto actually. But I can't stop listening to Pickett, he just sounds so different. Not that Brecker sounds like anyone else... :D

Thanks

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
It's not funky, but check out late Coltrane 'Interstellar Space' or 'Expressions'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,773 Posts
If you want some really crazy saxophone playing, check out Adrian Terrazas-Gonzalez on Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's (the guitarist from the Mars Volta) self-titled solo album. Kind of prog rock meets free jazz. It's better than I just made it sound.

Not very funky, though. Not really funky at all.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's fine, funk isn't EXACTLY or primarily what I'm looking for. Just really interesting things. I can imagine it:

Dream Theatre or Spock's Beard meets Sex Mob :D. That would be pretty cool, I like a lot of prog as well.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Bert Wilson. Further Adventures is a good one. Wilson range on the tenor is incredible. The Fringe with George Garzone on tenor and soprano. Not so much funk but interesting and crazy in a good way. David Murray when he gets wound up. World Saxophone Quartet. Hamiett Bluiet. Both Murray and Bluiet are in the WSQ. There is a WSQ CD with a couple of African players which is pretty funky.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
By "The Thing", do you mean Mats Gustafsson's trio with Paal Nilssen-Love and Ingebrigt Haker-Flaten? If not, check that out. They play things ranging from classic free jazz tunes to tunes by newer indierock bands like the White Stripes, the YeahYeahYeahs and Lightning Bolt and Classic Garage Rock by bands like the Sonics. Crazy and intense. The things that Mats can do on Baritone are pretty crazy.
Pretty much check out anything that Mats puts out.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you like a little funk mixed with your jazz, check out some of Ken Vandermark's projects like FME, Vandermark 5 or Spaceways Inc.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
There is so much music out there that it's difficult to know what direction to point you in. Your best bet for checking out a lot of interesting music for a reasonable price is to get a membership at eMusic, they have a lot of great jazz available for download with some very good fee structures (I get 90 downloads a month for a set fee). They have a lot of the more obscure jazz labels on board so you can get some of the more adventerous music.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
cleger said:
If you like a little funk mixed with your jazz, check out some of Ken Vandermark's projects like FME, Vandermark 5 or Spaceways Inc.
I really like the 2 Spaceways Inc. records. I could listen to Hamid Drake all day.
You might want to Check out Sonore, too. It's a sax trio with Mats Gustafsson, Peter Brotzman and Ken Vandermark.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Yeah, any recording with Hamid is usually a safe bet. I have a really nice duo recording on right now with Hamid Drake and Assif Tsahar that was issued on Ayler records if I remember correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts