Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in opinions of the Mouthpiece Cafe Primo or Houseblend for tenor. I'm concerned that the material they're made of will diminish their tone. Anyone with experience of them please jump in.

· Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,422 Posts
I have a 7* tenor house blend that is one of my favorites. Great clear tone and easy to play up and down. I owned an 8 primo that I also really liked. It had just a bit darker tone, and was one of the best I have had for sub toning, but the 8 tip size was just a bit large for me. The tones were excellent on both pieces. Don’t worry about the material. It’s a non-issue.

· Registered
3,065 Posts
Both are solid options!
What you might want to consider more is what type/s of music you will be performing. I owned the Bergonzi Slant and the House blend at the same time for a few months and used them for different things. The slant is closer to the primo for this example. I think I would have loved the primo as it is between these two I had but it was not invented yet! So for the choice, it depends on what type of music you plan to perform.
Now to the material, they used to have an option to have either rubber or resin mouthpieces. Now the only option is rubber. Just keep in mind that not all rubbers are the same and I certainly wouldn’t call what they use as inferior. Your tone/sound won’t diminish due to the material.

· Affordable and Reliable Mouthpieces
926 Posts
I can't comment on the Mouthpiece Cafe Primo or Houseblend for tenor but I do have the Mouthpiece Cafe Espresso in resin on soprano, alto and tenor. There are great and the material is definitely not a concern. It is top notch and I doubt most people would find a difference with hard rubber pieces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.