Sax on the Web Forum banner

Looking for Online Teacher (Looking for List of Currently Active)

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Randy Hunter 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an online teacher who will help me address the technique of playing the saxophone, but won't force addressing anything musical or stylistic unless it's in the context of an Etude, etc (I know this may be controversial). I can clarify if there are questions or a melee breaks out over it.

I'd like to address:

• Proper breathing
  • Proper long tones
  • Proper overtones
  • Trouble-shootin':
  • - Air stream support
  • - My voicing
  • - Low range issues
  • Tone production / projection (I realize the above are components)
  • Technical facility development
e.g.
  • - Un-articulated, even Nth notes
  • - Articulation / Tonguing
  • - etc.. you know, the usual stuff that someone coming up through middle, high school, and college bands / continual private lessons would have down by now. Saxophone is a second instrument for me, so I didn't come up through that path.

Basically, I'm looking for help gaining control over the horn outside of a musical context beyond what is absolutely necessary. i.e. concentrating on something like Klose and scales / intervals to address the above issues would be fine by me.

I'm compiling a list, and doing research to see which could be a good fit for the two of us. Obviously, this won't be known in any concrete form until a conversation takes place.

I'm aware of:
  • Tim Price
  • Dave Pollack
  • Randy Hunter
  • Matt Otto
  • Tevet Sela
  • Greg Fishman

I haven't ruled any of these teachers / players / musicians in or out, I just need more data. I've been aware of, or recently checked out all of these teachers and they're heavy in their own ways, I have a lot of respect for them.

I know the approach I need to take (avoiding musical context) could be off-putting for some teachers, and I'd be glad to address that in private if it needs to go beyond the explanation I gave on another thread a few weeks ago; it's not a matter of me being head-strong.

I appreciate any additions to the list you all might provide.

Have a great day!

See less See more
#8 ·
Thank you!

By the way, I love your podcast! I look forward to every new release, and listen to each one multiple times. I really appreciate the work you Nick put into it. I looked for a donation button, but didn't find one.

If you all haven't heard of it, yet, it's here: http://saxophonepodcast.com. The most recent episode interviews Krzysztof Urbanski, who is sick. I stumbled on him late one night and was like, "what.. .who is.. holy cr.. HOW HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS GUY??".

#7 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions! I found someone who is local (in this list), and I'm going to get with him on a consistent basis. After a while, I also plan on taking one-offs with others.

In case anyone else comes along looking for the same type of list, I'm going to add:

samdillonmusic.com

and

davidrubelmusic.com

#11 ·
Any good sax teacher can address the topics you are wanting taught. Certainly everyone on your list. Is your post more about if these teachers can teach these topics or if they can refrain from teaching (forcing as you put it) musical and stylistic topics. If it is more the latter then I think you are going to have a hard time getting first hand feedback on a teacher that doesn't teach musical and stylistic elements. I mean, I have been teaching for 25 years and have never had a student that just wanted saxophone fundamentals and nothing else to be taught. Whatever your reasons, I don't think it would be hard. You just have to communicate what you are looking for to the teacher in the first lesson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.