Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
i'm looking for a new mouthpiece for my bari, i was reading on another thread about a runyon quantum and it sounds nice but out of my budget, i was looking at a runyon metal spoiler mpc, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. also i was thinking about getting a rico metalite because i know its cheap and hear good things about it, is it worth the 25 bucks? but mainly i would like to know about the runyon spoiler mpc. thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
I have a plastic quantum. Don't care for it much. The tiny beak profile never felt right and the tone is kind of blatty. So it's been sitting on my mouthpiece shelf for five or six years. But some players like these mouthpieces. I haven't played the metalite but it might be worth a look. Maybe check out a Vandoren. They play pretty well and are in a good price range.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
What kind of Baritone do you have? If it is a vintage horn, it might be a little more mouthpiece picky, depending on the brand/model and era of production.

The Quntaum is a good mouthpiece if you like high baffle pieces. It is available in a delrin version which is cheaper than the metal but plays the same.

I used to own a Runyon Quantum 9 Tenor that I picked out at the factory in Louisiana. I was able to try all of their tenor pieces and walked out with a Metal Quantum. Looking back, I should have gotten the Delrin model as it produces the exact same sound (to the listener) it is just made of different material. Although, the feel is most certainly different between the two.

http://shop.weinermusic.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRBCQ 7&variation=

I personally have moved away from high baffle pieces entirely as I feel they are mostly one trick ponies. I need a highly versatile mouthpiece as I refuse to switch equipment per application.

I have owned a Rico Metalite M9 & M11 for Tenor. I liked them at first, but realized very soon there are better pieces out there. They are perfect if you honk and scream on all your gigs. The Quantum is a much better piece for all around playing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im an intermediate player, i use my schools sax its a yamaha not sure what model probably beginner model. but since i cant afford my own bari i want to get the best sound as possible out of the horn. do you guys have any recomendations for mpcs and facing measurements? oh and i was thinking about the rico because i read many other threads and there were always posts about it and since its only 25 bucks i feel it might be worth it bc lets face it honking and shouting is just fun :p
thanks

·
2,312 Posts
About the quantum, the spoiler insert makes it a high baffle piece, but the spoiler can be removed making the piece a little mellower. But spoiler or no spoiler it still has the tiny beak which I find uncomfortable. The metalite sounds like it could be alot of fun and I'd like to try one myself at some point. But if you're an intermediate player and still in school you might be best served by getting a regular shaped hard rubber piece with a medium open tip. Link, Berg Larsen, Meyer, Yanigisawa, RIA (no longer made), and Vandoren are a few names. Personally, since RIAs (what I use) are no longer made, I think the pick of the litter would be the Vandorens. They're consistantly well machined and have a design and dimensions that can produce a good range of sound. Should be suitable for both symphonic band and jazz band. A B75 (.108" tip) could give you lots of power for jazz or rock, but still be mellow and controllable enough for concert bands.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Regarding the Rico Graftonite (never heard a Metalite), I heard a bari player (who primarily plays alto or tenor) with a great sound using one of those last year. For the money, you could try a B5 opening and use it as a back up or marching band mouthpiece if you don't like it. Looks like they are $15 on amazon.

·
2,312 Posts
I'm looking at my delrin Quantum right now and it has a spoiler. And on the back of the piece, below the printed word "Quantum", it shows in script the words "The Spoiler". Possibly you are thinking of another model.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm looking at my delrin Quantum right now and it has a spoiler. And on the back of the piece, below the printed word "Quantum", it shows in script the words "The Spoiler". Possibly you are thinking of another model.
I see now. My mistake. :oops:

I couldn't imagine putting a higher baffle than what's already there sans spoiler. Maybe I just didn't want it to be a possibility. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jazztenor, the metalite is the grafonites brother

rs i cant find the vandoren b75 is it a discontinued model?

oh and i have a tenor its a 60s king zephyr its extremely mouthpiece picky! on my rene duval i found this 50 dollar mpc that worked very well for it and i felt really good with but my zephyr is really really picky any ideas?
thanks

·
2,312 Posts
I just checked the Vandoren site and the B75 is listed under the VS Jazz series along with the B95, which is more open than the B75. Also, Quantums that come without a spoiler will still accept them. Spoilers can be ordered separately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool thanks i think the vandoren sounds good and versatile.

but does anyone have any recomendations for my tenor?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts