Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the original bill of sale from 1926. (Finish #4)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Eastern Music unlacquered power neck tenor and a Jean Paul AC-400.
2,006 Posts
Wow, your request is very specific! Care to share your motivation or end goal?

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I always enjoy learning the history of my stuff. If whoever owns this horn would like a copy of the original bill of sale, I'd be pleased to pass it on as well as what other info I might have about it.

It was purchased in 1926 together with the Martin Handcraft tenor I own. Not all that mysterious rite?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Eastern Music unlacquered power neck tenor and a Jean Paul AC-400.
2,006 Posts
Well, I always enjoy learning the history of my stuff. If whoever owns this horn would like a copy of the original bill of sale, I'd be pleased to pass it on as well as what other info I might have about it.

It was purchased in 1926 together with the Martin Handcraft tenor I own. Not all that mysterious rite?
Thanks for the clarification and very nice of you. Original post gave me the impression you were looking to acquire that specific horn.

·
3,938 Posts
Thanks for the clarification and very nice of you. Original post gave me the impression you were looking to acquire that specific horn.
Or it was one that had just been stolen.

XAX
What a cool piece of ephemera to have. I’m curious as heck to the prices shown. Do the cases show as a line item? Accessories ?
I have a 28 gold plate handcraft alto. It came in a doublers case.
Gosh to have a sales slip and a glimpse of its owner/journey would be so cool.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
Ha! I had to double check, mine is a 73k with No. 4 finish. So close!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very cool. Mine is a 1927 #4 finish. By the time I acquired it, the original case was long gone. I acquired a Martin LC Mouthpiece to replace the original, also long gone.

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
3,938 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
That’s a beauty.
Bought on credit I’m assuming on a handshake? $328 was a good hunk of change. I wonder how many reeds the $3.25 bought you.
NO TAX !
So nice to see the nasatgia behind anything that is that old, definitely a rare find to be in possession of an invoice from 1926. And you're right MR. Squealer, that had to be quite a chunk of change back in the day. 20 down was probably a full weeks working pay...or more. The bill of sale pretty much says it all, but my curiosity is swirling around why he would have had the reeds taken off his invoice, one I'm sure we will never know the answer to. Must have been really good reeds too, @10% of the cost of the horn.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Imagine how exciting it was for the first purchaser, back in the day when people didn't slap down big money on a whim, standing there while the clerk typed out the receipt, holding the two cases and ready to go home and start playing.

·
3,938 Posts
Looking over this cool bit of history.

It’s actually a statement dated 9/22/29. On the bottom “terms 60 days due 9/19/26. Looks like a $20 cash payment was made on the 22nd. Short and beyond terms? Then a check for $3.75 on Oct,5 1926 on just the reeds.
I guess at that point he owned the reeds...hard to repossess reeds.

Other small fun things to note.
This music store was a class place with pride. In the lower left is a printed logo. That was most likely engraved in copper by hand for the printing block. Not cheap! This also requires a second time through a hand fed printing press. Depending on the technology the print shop had maybe 3 times. Printing horizontal and vertical lines letterpress was often done separately. 400 sheets per hour was excellent productivity. So 500 copies with making form changes and make ready(strike & position) This is practically a days work.

In use;
Typed on a typewriter, terms handwritten in script with a fountain pen. Then the entry of $3,75 check is from carbon paper. Folded and stored in an envelope.
No copy machine in that office. Paper was well utilized unlike today.

Was this paper retained as a memento to the struggle to earn these fine instruments? What Pride this musician must have had.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well, I always enjoy learning the history of my stuff. If whoever owns this horn would like a copy of the original bill of sale, I'd be pleased to pass it on as well as what other info I might have about it
I like this and have always passed anything like this along when I had a horn for sale with paperwork, pictures or history. A few years back I purchase a 26M that had some original paperwork with it, but also had a warranty card for a 30M and for a Conn clarinet that listed the serial numbers on the back of the card. This thread gives me some motivation to look at them again and to try and find a current owner to get these cards to them.

·
1,809 Posts
Or it was one that had just been stolen.

XAX
What a cool piece of ephemera to have. I’m curious as heck to the prices shown. Do the cases show as a line item? Accessories ?
I have a 28 gold plate handcraft alto. It came in a doublers case.
Gosh to have a sales slip and a glimpse of its owner/journey would be so cool.
I’ve bought several old horns that came along with the player’s entire gig rig, up to and including business cards and clip-on bow tie. It really is fascinating when you pick up something that’s like a player’s time capsule.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts