Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my first year as jazz student next year and if I continue down this road I think I would need another mouthpiece
Reason: I think my super tone master is getting too small for me (6 star) and I have dropped it several times resulting in the tip being bent a bit :( (possibly making the tip opening even smaller)

I like the link style piece because of the big chamber that it has, it blows very easily to me and has a deep dark sound that I am aiming towards (I have tried several meyers and didn't like them very much)
Also, I think I'm too used to the bigger chambers as playing any other mouthpiece sounds really weird and loud

There are actually very few alto tones that I really like, maybe Kenny Garrett and Eric Marienthal
But the tone I really love for alto is Peter King's, to me that is what the alto should sound like (I hear he plays a link style piece too :bluewink:)

For budget, I'm not really sure, I'm not planning to buy it right away so I could save up to buy one
maybe less then 500$?

I'm playing with my military band's yas 62
Oh also, I would prefer a metal mouthpiece as I have already spent 80$ on a francois louise lig lol

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
How many mpcs did you really try?
which did you try?
Kenny Garrett and Marienthal are two different directions of sound.
A metal mpc will not be better than a Hard Rubber or Resin mpc.
So you want to buy a metal mpc because you have a Francois Louis Ligature? So what. I don't get the connection. Do you want to say you have bought a ligature that fits your metal link? Metal mpcs on alto are not that typical like they are on tenor.
To be honest, go to a shop and try as many mpcs as you can, to find the one that works for you because we can't tell you what will work for you. For example i like HR Links on alto and tried a HR Gaia (also big chamber mpc). I didn't like the Gaia at all, others love it. What will that tell us? Nothing, only that the Gaia was not working for me. The same goes for every recommendation you will get here. You only will know if you try a mpc on your own.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I love my HR Link 7 on alto. Personally I don't see the point in spending anything near $500 for one.
Mine's an EB and it was only just over $100 in a recent SOTW purchase.

But really you should play a bunch in a good store.

·
Super Moderator
26,390 Posts
David Valdez uses a slant sig link 6 on alto. Those guys have really large chambers. I hear that David has the specs and has had copies made for his students.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
A 6* is a .080 tip on alto. That a pretty popular tip opening (in the .077 - .083 range) and plenty large enough for alto. You really won't see many altoists go larger than that. That's the tip opening I use and the only reason I'd go larger is if I had to start using harder reeds (like 4's) because I prefer to play on 3's and 3 1/2's.

I'd be more concerned with the tip being damaged from the drops than the tip opening itself.

I'm of the opinion that mouthpiece material makes little difference. I put more stock in which is more comfortable to play since metal and rubber pieces tend to have different external dimensions. I happen to prefer rubber on everything because metal mouthpieces feel too small in my mouth. If you're comfortable on metal, then feel free to choose a metal piece. The only thing to be aware of is that rubber is much more popular on alto and there isn't quite the selection on alto as there would be on tenor.

One thing I would not do is base my choice of mouthpiece on what ligature I happened to own. The mouthpiece will have a much greater effect on your tone than the ligature will. If you're willing to spend $500 on a mouthpiece, are you really going to let an $80 ligature dictate what kind of mouthpiece that is? Again, if you feel more comfortable on metal, fine. That's a legitimate reason. I just hope that the ligature isn't a big factor in your wanting a metal mouthpiece.

I think maybe you need to do more listening and figuring out what kind of tones you're attracted to. KG, Peter King, and Marienthal don't really occupy the same tonal space.

But Peter King plays a Link and you have one already. If you think you've damaged it, your best option may just be to keep it and send it to a refacer (Like the Mouthpiece Guys) to put it in optimal playing condition. That way you don't have to buy a new mouthpiece or get a new ligature.

·
3,875 Posts
David Valdez uses a slant sig link 6 on alto. Those guys have really large chambers. I hear that David has the specs and has had copies made for his students.
Yes, the Mouthpiece Guys modify stock Vandoren V16 mouthpieces for that. If that's the route you want to go, you can just contact them and ask for the Valdez Slant copy. But remember that these are resin pieces.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys!
in light of of things I get that it sounds quite silly to let a lig dictate my mouthpiece choices
Just due to it being one of the best ligs I've owned
I do feel more comfortable with a metal mouthpiece after having played it for 4 years
Perhaps I should also have not mentioned kg.and eric
Peter king is the tone I am striving for

The reason I am asking is because the music store in my area has very poor mouthpiece choices
I didn't like anything besides the link I tried
In hind sight I should have tried more of the links
I would probably have to order one online and make use of the trial

@agent would refacing my mouthpiece be worth it?
Its just a regular modern link, with some weird flaws I might add
Like how the mouthpiece is NOT centered and some weird bumps on the inside

·
13,692 Posts
If you like metal links and you want a bigger tip then why not just repeat what has been successful and if it is a wonky link just get it properly faced. It will cost you WAY under 500 bucks.

Hard rubber Links are great too but the alto link in HR sound a lot different than the STMs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you like metal links and you want a bigger tip then why not just repeat what has been successful and if it is a wonky link just get it properly faced. It will cost you WAY under 500 bucks.

Hard rubber Links are great too but the alto link in HR sound a lot different than the STMs.
I understand that you are a good refacer
If I send it to you how much would it cost? My link is prety wonky if I may sayso myself

·
13,692 Posts
Internal irregularities frequently dont cause problems..That being said some can. what do you mean the mouthpiece is not centered? The tip is not in line with the table?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Internal irregularities frequently dont cause problems..That being said some can. what do you mean the mouthpiece is not centered? The tip is not in line with the table?
Its a little hard to describe, it looks as if the tip is not even at all
Looking from the top of the mouthpiece, one side looks bigger in comparison with the bite plate
Now that I toke a closer look, it seems more likely that the bite plate is not inline with the mouthpiece

1 - 11 of 11 Posts