Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm an adult picking up the saxophone again from childhood. I'm interested in taking some lessons and wondering if any fellow Colorado residents have any good teachers in mind.
I'm in the Denver area

Thanks!

Cullen

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Are you interested in jazz (also rock, pop etc.), or in classical, or in both?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you interested in jazz (also rock, pop etc.), or in classical, or in both?
I guess both. I'm interested in learning some fundamentals of music and music vocabulary. I'm fine if that is saxophone specific knowledge. I dont know if that makes any sense how I worded that.

I'd like to make sure I'm using proper technique. I know that it can vary. But some professional opinion would be nice.

I'd like to learn some of the cool unique skills like growling and trilling and stuff like that.

Id like to learn the intro to roseanne once I get my tenor.

I can read sheet music. Albeit quite rusty.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Peter Sommer is a good player and teaches in Denver.
Peter has been based in Fort Collins running the Jazz Studies program at CSU for several years so I don't know if he's still taking private students in Denver - not saying he doesn't ( I don't know) but it's a pretty long trip and he's a busy guy these days. You may also want to contact Mark Harris who is presently with Metro State and lives much closer to downtown; https://webapp.msudenver.edu/directory/profile.php?uName=harrimar

I took lessons from Mark for about 5 years from '98 - '03. He's a good guy and an excellent classical and jazz player. He may or may not be taking students right now as well but he should have some contacts in the area. You can also check with Flesher-Hinton and/or Kolacny Music depending upon which one you're closer too, to see who they presently have taking students. Good Luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice, thanks for the ideas!
Has anybody done any online lessons with video chat or anything along those lines?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Very nice, thanks for the ideas!
Has anybody done any online lessons with video chat or anything along those lines?

A few of the SOTW members teach this way most notably Steve Neff and Tim Price - I wouldn't hesitate to take lessons from either but they are both on east coast time so that may add some challenge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts