Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
I'm a college saxophone major and I'm looking for some new pieces to play. I'm looking for something off the beaten path, two examples being works by Ryo Noda and the Fuzzy Bird Sonata. Can anyone recommend some pieces like this, or maybe some other tongue-in-cheek/funny/unique saxophone songs for solo or duet with piano? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Is the Fuzzy Bird Sonata considered "off the beaten path"? Judging from outside academia, it seems pretty much standard rep these days, or at least contemporary standard rep. You can easily buy recordings, hear it on YouTube, etc. I also thought Ryo Noda was viewed as an established composer, not an oddball. How conservative are university saxophone programs?

As for your question, have you considered reviving some Rudy Wiedoeft material? It's outside the "classical" canon, but sometimes quite virtuosic in nature, as well as entertaining. E.g., "Saxophobia."

·
Registered
276 Posts
You might like "Histoire du Tango" by Astor Piazzolla, or "Paganini Lost" by Jun Nagao. You could also try some unaccompanied works by Barry Cockroft. They seem to be popular without sounding too 'classical,' so to speak. Plus the audience likes them.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Jamey

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
Is the Fuzzy Bird Sonata considered "off the beaten path"? Judging from outside academia, it seems pretty much standard rep these days, or at least contemporary standard rep. You can easily buy recordings, hear it on YouTube, etc. I also thought Ryo Noda was viewed as an established composer, not an oddball. How conservative are university saxophone programs?

As for your question, have you considered reviving some Rudy Wiedoeft material? It's outside the "classical" canon, but sometimes quite virtuosic in nature, as well as entertaining. E.g., "Saxophobia."
I've seen people do these as encore pieces. Saxophobia and there was a ridiculous Jimmy Dorsey piece.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see now that the pieces I listed are actually standard. I'm just used to a little bit of musical purism. "Saxophobia" was a great suggestion; just ordered it through library loan. Perhaps the Dorsey song was "Beebe," though "Oodles of Noodles" is a good guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts