Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I’m in no huge rush to get another Bari sax but at some point my King Zephyr is going to need a repair and I’m going to think “oh man I wish I had a back up horn. I’ve got a gig Friday and no horn.” So, for anyone who may know. How are these horns holding up after a few years of use? I can get some great volume and fullness from my current horn. Do the Taishan have good volume and a big sound as well? I did play next to a guy with one a while back and I was much louder but that could have been my setup. I play in street bands so volume is needed. Also, is there a better place to buy one? A place that might do some setup work already? I assume an eBay horn will need a little work for sure. Are they heavy? Heavier than my Bb horn? Should I put these thoughts out of my mind and if I want to buy another horn get a Conn or Martin or King Bb horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
This has to be one of the most popular themes lately

Lots of stuff in the archives

Several threads dedicated to these horns are here already (and probably would have been better to follow up on them whe one does that one gets way more results than opening a new thread)

read these

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...an-Winds-baritone-sax-straight-out-of-the-box
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...TSBS-680-Baritone-Saxophone-a-good-sax-to-own
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?241654-Taishan-Winds-Bari-Sax
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?228953-Taishan-TSBS-680-Bari-Sax

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,108 Posts
I have owned two Zephyrs and have yet to meet a low-A horn that has anywhere near the power, presence, and most definitely projection of the King. A Keilwerth stencil came close, but those Kings are bonkers big. I went with a Yanagisawa B6 for my Low-A, and have owned quite a few baris over the years. If you want to maintain a similar vibe to your Z, I'd get another one at roughly half the cost of the Taishan. If you are intrigued by the low-A and modern ergos, that's different, but for a back-up? Zephyrs are a great deal.

Yes, the Taishan will be heavier than your King. You will feel a difference on your neck based on the additional keywork and ribbed construction. The Zephyr is definitely one of the lighter horns out there.

Of course this all opinion and personal experience. My recommendation is to seek one out locally and give it a try. Maybe it will float your boat, but it will be VERY different (not worse or better) than your King.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have owned two Zephyrs and have yet to meet a low-A horn that has anywhere near the power, presence, and most definitely projection of the King. A Keilwerth stencil came close, but those Kings are bonkers big. I went with a Yanagisawa B6 for my Low-A, and have owned quite a few baris over the years. If you want to maintain a similar vibe to your Z, I';d get another one at roughly half the cost of the Taishan. If you are intrigued by the low-A and modern ergos, that';s different, but for a back-up? Zephyrs are a great deal.

Yes, the Taishan will be heavier than you King. You will feel a difference on your neck based on the additional keywork and ribbed construction. The Zephyr is definitely one of the lighter horns out there.

Of course this all opinion and personal experience. My recommendation is to seek one out locally and give it a try. Maybe it will float your boat, but it will be VERY different (not worse or better) than your King.
Thanks. I may know someone that owns one so I will try and check it out. I’m making the assumption that a new horn will be easier to play in tune (not that I’m having a problem with that) and the ergonomics will be better. I do have my eye out for a Zephyr as well. (A silver one?). I wouldn’t be unhappy with another King.

·
2,108 Posts
Thanks. I may know someone that owns one so I will try and check it out. I’m making the assumption that a new horn will be easier to play in tune (not that I’m having a problem with that) and the ergonomics will be better. I do have my eye out for a Zephyr as well. (A silver one?). I wouldn’t be unhappy with another King.
Definitely try one out if you know someone! You may love it, who knows? My main complaint with the Zephyrs has always been ergonomics, but once overcome, boy they are beasts!

I love the one I have now. It’s not my primary horn, but it may be the last horn I ever sell. 🙂 It’s a 1942 silver-plated Marine Corps horn!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn they do make silver! When I first got the king things felt a little weird but I';m used to it for sure. Yes super 20 is a good thought as well.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I have a real fondness for both my Low A Yani and my Low Bb Barone baris but if you don't specifically need the Low A for the music you're playing you'll probably find the Low Bb horns cheaper, lighter, and generally more manageable. Those can be big pluses if you're playing in street bands where you're moving around a lot.

The reasoning for a Low A would be if you think it will open up more playing opportunities to you that you are interested in. In that case using it a couple times a year when your King is in the shop would be worth it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man. Your response is great but muddies the waters more. I don’t want to lug around extra weight. Very good point. And at this point the only thing that’ll get me better opportunities to play is PRACTICE! Having said that having a horn with the A would be nice to have once in a while.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Well if you're only carrying it a few times a year it's probably manageable but while sound is subjective there's no getting around the Low A horns being bigger and heavier. That being said, if you desire to have, can afford and have the space for 2 baris; having one Low A and one Low Bb is probably the combination to have.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if you're only carrying it a few times a year it's probably manageable but while sound is subjective there's no getting around the Low A horns being bigger and heavier. That being said, if you desire to have, can afford and have the space for 2 baris; having one Low A and one Low Bb is probably the combination to have.
I have to try one out I guess first. Having a new horn and an A would be nice. There are a number of tunes I could use that note on already. We’ve also change keys on a few tunes so I can hit the low Bb and not jump up to an A. I’ll definitely be getting something at some point. By the spring when we’re playing a lot. Unfortunately the person I saw playing one was borrowing it from someone else.

·
2,108 Posts
Keith makes excellent points and, I too, have the luxury of owning two Bb horns and a Low-A. I love my old Yani and have no plans to get rid of it, but I do find myself gravitating towards the Bb horns given the option. I wouldn't complain if any of them were my only horn...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeez. I didn';t realize there';s a conn 12m for sale locally for the same prices a taishan. Maybe that’s to much though.

·
38,865 Posts
secondhand beats new. The 12m won’t have the low A though

·
2,108 Posts
What year/era is the 12M? It could be a deal or not... and like Milandro says, no low-A.

Might be a worth a play test if the owner is amenable? What is ‘local’ to you? Maybe someone here at SOTW could let you play test their horn.

·
38,865 Posts
frankly speaking there are 12M and there are 12M’s

at less or as but as $1500 a 12M has to be a beater and a very late one (mexico)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s from the 50’s and it’s a mile away from me. Cambridge ma. I’d only be interested if it’s a great deal or an upgrade as I’m pretty happy with the Zephyr.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That 12m is off the market for now. If anyone in MA has a Taishan I can play a few notes on it would be much appreciated. The person who I saw playing one was apparently renting it for a week or something.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts