Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I primarily play low-key Smooth Jazz and Standards and am looking for a good dynamic clip on mic that will give a natural sound, warm and clean throughout range. I am looking at the Senn e608 and the Beyerdynamic TGI 52d and ..... Pros and cons of these two and any other suggestions.

Thank you

Brian

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think you will find that even small dynamic mics are going to be too big and heavy to play comfortably.

There are many small condensers that sound great and will add virtually no weight to your horn. Plus condensers will usually sound more clear and transparent in almost all circumstances.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I think you will find that even small dynamic mics are going to be too big and heavy to play comfortably.

There are many small condensers that sound great and will add virtually no weight to your horn. Plus condensers will usually sound more clear and transparent in almost all circumstances.
The two mics the OP listed are dynamic. Although I'm not sure how they do that. They look just like any clip on condenser. My money would be on the Sennheiser though. I had one of their E945 vocal mics and it was amazing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i’ve heard very good things from reputable sources about the samson airline ones, really good price aswell on those for something more affordable. Can’t comment on the ones you mentioned but check out the samson

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Instead of offering ideas about the million and one clip on condensers that are out there, we could perhaps address the OP's actual question.

I had to refrain as well. But it wasn't that hard to do.
Yup....I got nothing either - but curiosity makes me ask - Why specifically a dynamic mic?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
Small condenser capsules work much better than small dynamic capsule. I mean for a clip microphone.
Less feedback...

Easier to get a clean sound, even if you are going to add heavy eq/compression and then reverb and delay.

Due to the size... in a small dynamic capsule the magnet is so small and requires tons of gain.
So if you don't have very quiet preamp... you may easily ruin your sound.

... that's why is more common to use condenser clip mics on saxophone.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Small dynamic capsules work much better than small dynamic capsule.
Less feedback...
I am having trouble understanding this. Is the first mention of dynamic supposed to be condenser? That would seem to be the intent, I think. Or is it as literally stated, describing the difference between multiple units versus a single unit?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I am having trouble understanding this. Is the first mention of dynamic supposed to be condenser? That would seem to be the intent, I think. Or is it as literally stated, describing the difference between multiple units versus a single unit?
I think they meant condenser for the first one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The question I am asking is does anyone have experience with these two DYNAMIC mics, the senn e608 and the Beyerdynamic TGI 52d. Which mic gives the warmest and most natural sound.

Brian

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
That's it.
Edited and corrected.

The question I am asking is does anyone have experience with these two DYNAMIC mics, the senn e608 and the Beyerdynamic TGI 52d. Which mic gives the warmest and most natural sound.
Never tried the TGI 52d (... since it's on the cheap side).
I used three times the e608... definitely far from being "warm".

I had the old AKG D409 (discontinued... dynamic): definitely too noisy to be used, but sounded nicer than the e608.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts