Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently play a Jumbo Java T-95 on a Selmer SA80. When I play very hard and the Sax is nice and warm I can get that hard edgey sound. I was thinking of moving to a new MP that would produce an hard edgey sound without making my eyes pop out from all the pressure...aany suggestions? :lol:

·
Registered
247 Posts
edgy sound...

Beechler Diamond Inlay - small chamber (a hard rubber piece)

Size 5 or 6 don't require too much air, but are loud and edgy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You should certainly be able to get a bright, edgy sound out of a Jumbo Java T95. If you have not already, try a different reed; I like V16s at the moment, but Java, ZZ, and Superials have all worked for me on my Jumbo Java.

If you still don't get the sound you're looking for, try a Dukoff.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used to use a Jumbo Java, talk about having an edge. I though it had too much of an edge for my taste, and switched after a while.

You don't need to go for a new mpc, you have a reed problem.

Whatever you do, dont switch to a SR Fusion, which is what I'm using now. :D Is that OK Frank D?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Here are 3 inexpensive things:

(1) Try using a Rico Plastic Cover reed with your mouthpiece, and don't go harder; go softer if you can.
(2) If you use a Rovner switch to a regular 2-screw lig.
(3) Take just a little more mouthpiece in your mouth.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yep....Plasticovers or Vandoren ZZ's of V16's will give an edgier sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to agree with "The Martin" about the Runyon Quantum. I just bought one from Paul Coats (a great man to do business with) and it can be a real paint peeler. However, the beauty of this piece is that it can also play pp wonderfully. All of this without the eye-popping, breath-robbing effects you describd. I use a delrin #10 with either plasticovers or fibracells on my 82Z for either raunchy or lovely, whichever is required.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I play my Quantum 12 (0,108 opening) with Vandoren V16 2,5 mostly without the spoiler. That's a perfect combination for "my" Jazz "combo".
Nice warm sound when you take it easy, cuts if pushed. But like I said, with body.

Now when I play tenor in "my" fun/carnaval/whatsallwecallit band (battling 5 trumpets, 3 euph an 2 trombones) I put in the spoiler and put on a V16 3 and make the trombonists shiver :twisted:
(most of the time I play trombone in that band :shock:)

In one word. Versatile (Spelling ?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.