Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recoomendations for possible recital pieces for any saxophone with any instrument: i.e flute, clarinet, voice, with or without piano. Im just dont know where to find them and what to look for. thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Roger Przytulski wrote a pretty cool duet for alto and flute. It's pretty accessible. It's called chamber dances. 4 movements. you can check out a full recording of it here... http://www.rogerprzytulski.com/works.html I'm working on it right now with a friend here to play this summer at wildacres.

Gregory Wanamaker wrote a GREAT duet for alto and clarinet. By great, I really mean amazing. It was written for Dr. Timothy McAllister (sax) and Dr. Alan Woy (clarinet) who were both teaching at Potsdam at the time. You can hear the first mvt here by those two... http://gregorywanamaker.com/mp3/index.html I'm also working on this one for a performance at the end of the month. Just be warned, the first 3 movements are pretty accessible. The first mvt has some really tricky stuff, and you need to be able to use non-conventional fingerings (i.e: flipping F to F#; sliding bis Bb to B, etc...) or it'll be a lot more trouble than it's worth. The 2nd mvt is BEAUTIFUL!! The third mvt, I'm not a fan of. We read half of it once and decided not to worry about it. Haha... the 4th mvt, though.. is very hard. You have to be able to play VERY independently. The sax part also has slaptongue, multiphonics, and some altissimo. Just some key things to be aware of. So far, this is my favorite duet, period.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I really like the inner mvmts of the Wanamaker Duo Sonata that Bezozzi mentioned. I believe it's the 3rd mvmt that has a really cool Reich-like perpetual motion feel. Neato.

I also love "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" by Lori Laitman for alto saxo and soprano voice (NOT to be confused with a piece by the same name for alto saxo, soprano voice, and piano by Elwood Derr). Very beautiful and accessible music. Gary Louie and Lauren Wagner recorded this brilliantly on Lori Laitman's CD "Mystery", available at Amazon.com.

Angel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts