Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been playing a regular weekly gig for the past few months, mostly on soprano and tenor. This is with a rock band that typically plays with some restraint. Anyway, Ive recently picked up an 82Z alto and was dying to play it. Ive typically played alto on a Meyer 6, which just wasnt cutting through. Put on a Lakey 5*3 and it just sounded shrill. I happened to see a kid putting some wax on his braces and bummed some paraffin off of him and added a wedge baffle to a Hite Artist mpc. With about 2 minutes of tweaking, I just plain got lucky and ended up with a fat, edgy, buzzing sound which is what I was going for.

So, my question is this: Hite + baffle = ???? I would love to find a commerical piece that was similar to this combination. Not too open, medium chamber, high baffle, good facing curve. Jumbo Java? Beechler? Ive never played much rock/pop on alto, so I dont really know where to start.

Thanks,

brian

SX90 BN soprano
82ZUL alto
B&S CJS tenor

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
bkiser said:
Ive been playing a regular weekly gig for the past few months, mostly on soprano and tenor. This is with a rock band that typically plays with some restraint. Anyway, Ive recently picked up an 82Z alto and was dying to play it. Ive typically played alto on a Meyer 6, which just wasnt cutting through. Put on a Lakey 5*3 and it just sounded shrill. I happened to see a kid putting some wax on his braces and bummed some paraffin off of him and added a wedge baffle to a Hite Artist mpc. With about 2 minutes of tweaking, I just plain got lucky and ended up with a fat, edgy, buzzing sound which is what I was going for.

So, my question is this: Hite + baffle = ???? I would love to find a commerical piece that was similar to this combination. Not too open, medium chamber, high baffle, good facing curve. Jumbo Java? Beechler? Ive never played much rock/pop on alto, so I dont really know where to start.

Thanks,

brian

SX90 BN soprano
82ZUL alto
B&S CJS tenor
Jody Jazz DV has a medium baffle you might want to try that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm a metal Beechler fan, myself, and I like the fact that they won't break the bank as badly as some others. The thing about it is (at least in my case) you kinda have to play it for a while to really get it to sound optimal.

But... if it's a rock band, even with some restraint, aren't you playing with a mic? Seems to me that can make up for a lot of the "cutting through" difference.

Personally, I find I really hate to have to change a setup or blow my brains out just to be heard.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is still mic'd, but with a soundman who doesnt know or care much about saxes. I guess that my original point was just that the traditional jazz Meyer sound was just really out of place. Its not as much the volume as the edge.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ah... gotcha. I used to use a hard rubber link on alto a loooong time ago, and I found that as long as I had access to the mixing board to futz with the EQ, I was typically okay. They one thing that did suffer though, were the altissimos, which is really one area the Beechler does well at. :)

I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
You can try to duplicate your baffle in the Hite by using plumber's epoxy putty.

There are many mouthpieces that are similar to Meyers with added baffles. SR Tech has the Titan and maybe another one. Runyon Custom, Runyon Custom Jazz.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Dukoff. Most of the pop/funk players I can think of use Dukoffs, and if you can find a Vibracom version, it's even better. If you like hard rubber pieces, the Jumbo Javas are excellent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts