Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Buescher Big B tenor Neck!!!

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this site, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place or if there's any other open thread about this in 2018.

So, I have a Buescher Big B Tenor Saxophone -serial 323.XXX / 156-, without the original Neckpiece. I'm pretty sure the neck it came with is from a Conn 10m, which has proven to be a real pain to me, since I seem to be always a bit sharp (I assume it's because of the neck lenght)

Does anyone know where could I find an compatible original Buescher neckpiece?

Other suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Regards from Argentina!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
Post a photo of the neck you have.

(under the Reply window, click 'advanced', then on the advanced page scroll down and click 'manage attachments' to upload a photo to this thread).

What you ask for is a difficult proposition, finding an original Big B neck will be very expensive. I am talking $500usd at least, if not more.

If you purchased the horn for a not-discounted price (a Big B Tenor in decent shape is worth around $2000+), and the seller did not disclose that the neck was unoriginal...you might want to have a discussion with the seller about that.

As far as the neck goes....you can likely find a more suitable replacement neck that is not an original Big B neck. Your thread title says you are looking for a Big B neck, but your thread post says you want to find just a 'compatible' neck. OK, so perhaps another Buescher neck from a later Aristocrat or from a Bundy or Elkhart 30A would work. These would be significantly cheaper; however, you want to have the tenon diameter measured so a replacement neck correctly fits.
One can buy an entire Bundy I or Elkhart project horn, with neck , for around $125-150usd. If you just want the neck, I will buy the body from you for $40 so you only end up paying $80-100 or so for a Buescher neck (I am assuming you have no need for a body which needs an overhaul).

IF your existing neck is actually a true 10M neck....you are in some luck, because these are worth over $200usd...so you could sell it.

I am not certain one of those necks I mention is a good match for a Big B....but I believe they are.

Perhaps a Buescher aficionado can chime in on that (?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, well first of all thanks for the thoughtful and quick response!

I wasn't sure what the correct title for this thread might be, in any case I tried to be concise. I'm sorry if that's misleading, I'll try changing it.
I've attached some neck photos.
The guy I bought the sax from was a musician who was unaware that the neck wasn't the original one (neither was I for that matter!). Asking him to make reparations turned out to be an impossible task since the guy doesn't live anywhere near me at all and doesn't feel responsable for that mishap. I could tell you more about that story, but yeah, dead end.

I was aware that an original neck was not only a difficult thing to find but also an expensive one. Either way I'm looking to keep this sax with me in the long run, so I am still considering it.
I've also been told by other people, as you did, that other Buescher necks might do the trick (but I have no idea which might, and how to get one!), I wouldn't feel as comfortable risking it with a Selmer neck, most of all because I think the relative sizes might end up being a huge deal tune-wise.

I do not have the tools to make the correct measurements but I'll try to get some help in that regard.

Finally, your proposition seems very interesting, however, I live in Argentina, which means that this type of transactions can get overly complicated due to the distances and other banking problems (my country has strict importing/international transactions policies). I will look for Buescher saxophones if you are still interested.
Thanks!

(sorry if I phrase things inconsistently, I'm not a native english speaker)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
Re: Looking for a Buescher Big B tenor Neck!!!

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this site, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place or if there's any other open thread about this in 2018.

So, I have a Buescher Big B Tenor Saxophone -serial 323.XXX / 156-, without the original Neckpiece. I'm pretty sure the neck it came with is from a Conn 10m, which has proven to be a real pain to me, since I seem to be always a bit sharp (I assume it's because of the neck lenght)

Does anyone know where could I find an compatible original Buescher neckpiece?

Other suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Regards from Argentina!
You have one of the best Buescher experts in Argentina (Buenos Aires) Juan Caino!As far as I know, he no longer comes here but he will be able not only to identify the neck you have but also to provide you with a replacement.

Juan s one of the few people in the world actually able to make necks too (although he didn’t like the ordeal too much)

[email protected]
www.facebook.com/jicaino

instrumentos musicales reparaciones, Av. Rivadavia 2745 4°17 , (c1034acg) Ciudad De Buenos Aires, Capital Federal - Teléfono: (011) 4866-4933

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason I tried replying you earlier but my response wasn't sent

So first of all, thanks a lot for the thoughtful and quick response!
I'll attach some photos of the neck, as far as the title go, I can see it might be misleading, I tried to be concise, but maybe I overdid it.
The seller (who is a musician, not a shop) is unreachable so there's not much I can do about it.

About the neck, I wouldn't mind using other compatible ones, I don't have the guts to risk it with other brand ones, since I fear it might be problematic tone-wise, but I'm very open to suggestions!

As far buying a sax and selling you the body, I personally consider this a serious option, however, since international transactions in my country are a little difficult (due to import/export restrictions and heavy taxes) it might be more of a problem than a solution, that's another good reason for trying to find the neck and be done with it.

Thanks again!

(I'm not a native english speaker by the way so sorry if you find inconsistencies in my writing!)

View attachment 217926 View attachment 217928

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
Juan wil tell you everything you need to know about your horn.

Anyway, some time ago I sold a a Buescher Big B stencil ( Getzen Capri) to a member here JThole. I had bought a neck on line described as Buescher but it turned ut not to be, probably was a Vito/Beaugnier/Noblet.

Anyway, not only he was happy at the time but he played it after with an original neck and preferred the replacement neck that it had come with.

Reviving this old thread for a moment :bluewink:

In the meantime, I found a 1960's Aristocrat neck, but it turns out that the Vito neck is more free blowing. What made the biggest difference, of course, is an overhaul by a good tech.

No, not a wise investment in monetary terms, I guess, but it turns out to be a very nice player. The Vito neck also brightens up the sound a bit, which I like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts