Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fascinated by the history of the saxophone, specifically the interconnection of manufacturers and companies. I've learned a lot from this site and consider it a wealth of information. My search for a book led me to The Devil's Horn but I was wondering if there were other/better choices. Thanking you in advance for any & all suggestions.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just discovered it and it's on order but as a voracious reader I'm always looking for the next book. What did you like about it?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,965 Posts
Just discovered it and it's on order but as a voracious reader I'm always looking for the next book. What did you like about it?
It was a book about the history of the saxophone so it had me with the theme. I actually have to finish it. It's been sitting next to my bed for the last year. I also read a lot but my problem is I get distracted by other books.........

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a book about the history of the saxophone so it had me with the theme. I actually have to finish it. It's been sitting next to my bed for the last year. I also read a lot but my problem is I get distracted by other books.........
Distracted by other books? Welcome to my world. 😉 Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I stumbled upon this book quite by accident while researching when various features were added to the saxophone during its development. I have only skimmed through it so far but it looks interesting. The Saxophone - Stephen Cottrell You will also find at this link "The Cambridge Companion to the Saxophone".

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stumbled upon this book quite by accident while researching when various features were added to the saxophone during its development. I have only skimmed through it so far but it looks interesting. The Saxophone - Stephen Cottrell You will also find at this link "The Cambridge Companion to the Saxophone".
I will check them out. Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
SOTW does have a subforum focusing on books and the like: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?66-Websites-Books-Magazines-Photos-and-other-Lit. You might like to browse it.

Here's one that I suggested there: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?246008-John-Harle-THE-SAXOPHONE-(2017).

Beyond that, I second the recommendation of the Cambridge Companion, which is excellent. Like all books in that series, however, it leans heavily toward classical music, so be prepared for that perspective.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,506 Posts
Books, mouthpieces... :bluewink:

FWIW, there was a time a few years ago when I would read 5+ books at a time, in some random rotation. I had several around the house and usually no fewer than three on the nightstand. I now try to keep just one on the nightstand at a time. I’m traveling this week and reading Carl Safina’s “Song for the Blue Ocean”. He really hit it out of the park with “Voyage of the Turtle”.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SOTW does have a subforum focusing on books and the like: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?66-Websites-Books-Magazines-Photos-and-other-Lit. You might like to browse it.

Here's one that I suggested there: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?246008-John-Harle-THE-SAXOPHONE-(2017).

Beyond that, I second the recommendation of the Cambridge Companion, which is excellent. Like all books in that series, however, it leans heavily toward classical music, so be prepared for that perspective.
Thank you for the links. A wealth of info.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
It sounds like you might have a good idea for a book proposal. I'd be interested in reading about the sax craze of the 20s giving way to the use of sax in traditional jazz, swing, modern jazz, 50s rock, 60s blues and R B etc. Hmm.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Grumps and Oric Muso. Will check them both out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts