Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna try and keep this short. So I have a slight obsession with black lacquered saxophones. So far I have a pretty cheap LA Sax Soprano black with gold keys but it gets the job done, as well as a Selmer SA 80 serie 2 same color. I'm looking for a tenor eventually and wanted to know of the choices out there. My all-time favorite Has to be a JK shadow however the price is way beyond my wallet. I know that particular sax is black and silver, however I'm sort of leaning that way. Another one similar to the shadow would be the Dave Guardala i think New york series but don't quote me on that. I know P Muriat makes one. As well as B&S, Kessler and sons, Chateau, and of course Yamaha, Selmer, and Yanagisawa at least they used to to not sure if they still do.
am I leaving any out that are professional horns? Id really like to know who else offers a black tenor, be it all black, or with silver or gold keys. I'm open to any of. Those three colors. Almost forgot Cannonball, but i Don't like they're basic engravings and I don't see myself shelling out thousands more for their top tier hand engraving options.

thank you all for your help
sincerely,
Sean

And before someone says do u plan on looking at it or playing it, yes I DO PLAN ON LOOKING AT IT LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Many of the Taiwanese/Chinese made professional-labeled saxophones offer black finish option. Conn-Selmer, Antigua, Barone, Eastman, Allora, Trevor James, to name a few.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,560 Posts

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
I'm gonna try and keep this short. So I have a slight obsession with black lacquered saxophones. So far I have a pretty cheap LA Sax Soprano black with gold keys but it gets the job done, as well as a Selmer SA 80 serie 2 same color. I'm looking for a tenor eventually and wanted to know of the choices out there. My all-time favorite Has to be a JK shadow however the price is way beyond my wallet. I know that particular sax is black and silver, however I'm sort of leaning that way.
Keilwerth saxes have a black nickel option, not black lacquer. The two finishes are quite different, though both are dark. Black nickel isn't really black -- more like a dark gray. Anyway, I assume you are saying that you like them both?

and of course Yamaha, Selmer, and Yanagisawa at least they used to to not sure if they still do.
Yamaha and Selmer Paris still make black lacquer horns, although they are fairly rare on the used market, and for a new one, you'd probably have to special-order it. The Selmers are just the Series II and Series III, not the Reference models. I have a black lacquer Series III alto that looks great with the fine Jubilee engraving.

I believe that Yanagisawa has stopped manufacturing black lacquer saxes. I have two black lacquer Yanys, so I was sad to see it go. There was never any formal announcement to that effect; the option just disappeared 4-5 years ago. The black lacquer finish option persisted for a couple of years into the WO era, then vanished. Here's a relevant discussion from the last days: Yani T901B Feedback

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys. LostConn, you are absolutely right in mentioning the differences between black lacquer and black nickel. You also are correct in assuming that I do in fact love both options. And yes it kills me that Yanni decided to drop their black model as it looked killer with a gorgeous flower engraving. I appreciate everyone’s help so far I guess I should’ve mentioned it from the beginning but yes I am looking for a professional level model. In fact I just came back from a couple different music stores to test out the tenors that they had in stock. Unfortunately each store only had two. So here’s my findings from today’s test. I started out with a Yamaha custom Z which was absolutely fantastic. I don’t think I could even imagine the horn with better ergonomics than my Super Action 80 series 2 alto, but I’m not kidding when I say this thing just fit my hand like a glove. I have rather small hands (ITS NOT TRUE LADIES LOL) Which leads to difficulty getting down to the low B flat spatula key on every horn I’ve ever had or tried. But to say the least this Yamaha created a feeling like no other. It had great responsiveness, and a lovely sound somewhere in between warm and bright. Oh, and the Altissimo was an absolute breeze, which has been a struggle to say the least and my student level YTS 23. i found it to be Definitely brighter than The following horn that I tried which was a GiardellI. Now I had no interest in even trying this horn but I figured why not since I was already there. To be honest it’s not a bad horn much warmer than the Yamaha but it lacked the quick response and phenomenal Ergonomics that the Custom Z had.
I then made my way to the next closest shop, just to find out that they unfortunately only had two Yamaha‘s to try. One of which was the 480, which I believe is an intermediate level, and the next was the 62iii. The 62 was very well put together with the same sharp response and lovely set up just like the custom. However I felt like it was a little more suited towards classical Music as it was very bright, focused, and lacked the edge that I was enjoying from the Z. I may be wrong as the corks were way too big and I didn’t want to ruin them by shoving my metal Meyer 6J or my Jody Jazz HR 7* all the way in. So every horn was very much on the flat side. But I wanted to respect the instruments that I knew I was not going to be purchasing. Anyways sorry for the long story just wanted to let you know how my day went. And I would love to keep this thread going with more professional level black lacquer or black nickel saxophones.

Has anyone had much success with Guardalas? I know Nigel from McGill Sax School on YouTube has a beautiful black one. But he has lately been stating how he’s looking for an upgrade as he has said that there are a few issues that he’s not quite happy with with his current Guardala. And I believe every horn he has tested out on his channel he has claimed plays much better than his current horn. Anyways let’s keep this going show me some sexy black saxes and stay safe and positive. Thank you all so much this has been an absolute pleasure seeing the love that I’m getting being new here on this wonderful forum.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just chiming in to say I love black lacquered tenors as well. I ended up with 2 of them, though one now is in the hands of a friend; I gave him my Yani 901 as a present. I still have my Yamaha 82Z. I didn't start out looking for black saxes, they just were the ones available when I was looking for tenors. I've had other tenors, in other finishes, but these two were the best of the bunch in both sight and sound categories (i.e., of the tenors I have personally had).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
Borgani - they don't list the black/silver option for tenors, but if they make it for sops and altos, they are well-known for making horns to order.

Where do you live?

If you update this thread with places you've tried, we can better help to fill in the blanks with other places that we know.

There are several black tenors here: Products – USA Horn, Inc.

And a few more here: Instruments – PM Woodwind

Another fav': Saxquest Saxophone Shop Search saxophones, mouthpieces, ligatures and more | Saxquest

It is interesting to note that with current website search engines, you can just enter "black tenor" at a shop's website, and get decent results.

G'luck with your quest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the help. I live in Connecticut Hartford area. But the states so small that i could travel 2 hours to New York City. 2 hours to Boston. So I’m willing to travel a bit if there’s an places around those areas you recomend
another part of my deciding purchase (as unimportant as it may sound,) is it must have a beautiful engraving. i know... I know... as fickle as that may be, I am an artist and I have an unhealthy obsession with beautiful engravings. The further up the sax it goes the better. call me crazy lol. I’m completely aware. Lol. I’m leaning towards Kesslers Custom as it has exactly what I’m describing. I just don’t know how they play. Another horn that I often kick the girl outta bed for to dream about is the Black Nickel Chateaux. But again not sure about Taiwanese horns.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,522 Posts
You need to play them yourself to know. Nobody else can decide what you will like, eh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tiss correct Datsaxman. Tiss absolutely correct....
unfortunately there also lies the problem lol. Im sure if you pay in full upfront and you decide its just not your cup of tea I’d imagine theyd let you return it for a full reimbursement minus of course the shipping as well as I’m sure a small disinfectant and packaging fee. We’ll see but I gotta say, I was really really impressed with that Custom Z I tried today. Almost more so than my Selmer Alto. But obviously two different instruments are never going to yield fair comparisons. But i honestly thought I’d be looking for either a Yani 901 theres one on eBay in black I think, or stick with another series 2, I just always sort of grouped all Yamahas in with classical pieces only. Boy was I wrong.
we’ll see. I plan onbuying it for myself this March for my 15 year anniversary of being clean and sober.

You see surgery got the best of me, then just like everyone else during the early 2000s; here have some Oxys there non addictive 👀 You sure Doc? Yup!,! Next thing I know I’m a full blow heroin addict. its no ones fault but my own. But you know what It all happened for a reason.... yeah, I buried 13 close friends, yes, I saw the devil in otherwise wonderful people, but guess who made it.....? Never do i let a day go by without reminiscing what I overcame, And the absolute hell of a struggle to overcome something that has a hold of you like vise grips on every limb organ and worse mind and soul. Many are embarrassed to share this. However in a way it keeps me vigilant and steers me forward on the correct path. In fact I wouldn’t change anypart of it because it made me who I am today. A great hearted, honest, strong, young man living each day under the will of my higher power, for my will power alone was going to kill me. It wasn’t until I excepted being powerless and faced the facts that I could not EVER conquer this alone That I began finding the faith.
Sorry for sharing this here. I now it’s most likely not appropiate but I hope you moderators allow it this one time as writing this provides me with the strength to keep on fighting. I promise to never share about this again and to stay on topic. But I feel safest if a new community knows about what I have been through. i digress and digress for good.

But today I know one thing so long as I follow this way, I have nothing to fear. But a black Custom Z sure would make the day a wee bit more enjoyable lol. Hey. Just sayin’.....

thanks guys. Any others have any ideas that we haven’t yet spoke of? How are B&S I don’t know the slightest bit about them?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
seems to be in very good condition, if I were to get a black lacquered tenor, it would be this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
Strimmed - If up top floats your boat (and art matters!), be aware that there are engravers in our midst! Get a canvas that plays well, and conspire with someone like Jaice Dumars to make your own sonic art.

Reactions: Jaice Singer DuMars

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
seems to be in very good condition, if I were to get a black lacquered tenor, it would be this.

I had a black T991 in my shop last year - great horn.
The price of the one on eBay seems reasonable.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I had a black T991 in my shop last year - great horn.
The price of the one on eBay seems reasonable.
I think so, players who don’t care for their horns tend to shy away from the finish which is actually quite durable. There is also a really nice alto A990U in excellent condition too and the look of the Yani logo and name on the bell in bare brass looks more distinguished.

I have a A990 in black lacquer and it seems almost unreal how that horn plays.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'd like to voice my support for Yamaha. I have a black lacquered EX alto and soprano. They're phenomenal horns, and the lacquer is super durable. I bought my alto in 2002/3 and the horn looks the same as it did on day 1. Just got the soprano used on Reverb last year. You've played a Z, but look for an EX as well. Great horns!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts