Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any teachers or schools in Westchester or the Bronx who offer affordable lessons for low-income adult learners?

So far I've looked at a few music schools and the prices are a complete fantasy for me -- I also haven't been able to find many private instructors in the area.

I played alto 5 years in lower and middle school, and baritone for four years in high school.

In my early twenties I studied for a year at a music academy in Brussels, Belgium while working professionally. I was also part of a community band "Jour de Fête".

Since then I've moved out of Belgium and trying to practice on my own for the past two years has been difficult without a teacher and without a community to keep me motivated.

Recently -- just this summer -- I moved back to downstate New York.

If you'd be interested in working something out, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading,

themudman

·
Registered
932 Posts
Slim pickings I’m afraid.
I asked on here a while back and got a few names but all pretty $$$.
I wouldn’t mind the cost if i got great stuff out of it, but the last guy I tried to use in Westchester had a teaching style that did not click.
It seems like its either lessons for students (kids) or very high priced pros.
The guy I used was $100/hr, broadway musician, very knowledgeable, but super technical and he wasn’t able to figure out what level i was at and hot to teach to me.
If you find anyone, regardless of price, let me know.
They sure don’t seem to advertise well around here, if they exist.

·
Registered
932 Posts
That’s what I have reverted to, but now feel like I would benefit greatly from in person lessons.
I think I finally know what I want to seriously work on and life would be better.
Online stuff is great but want feedback in person.

It’s tricky as an adult learner to find someone that gets where I am, how much I can practice (amidst day job etc) and not to the standard young kid student route.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,900 Posts
What’s “2014”?

14 Posts
Are there any teachers or schools in Westchester or the Bronx who offer affordable lessons for low-income adult learners?

So far I've looked at a few music schools and the prices are a complete fantasy for me -- I also haven't been able to find many private instructors in the area.

I played alto 5 years in lower and middle school, and baritone for four years in high school.

In my early twenties I studied for a year at a music academy in Brussels, Belgium while working professionally. I was also part of a community band "Jour de Fête".

Since then I've moved out of Belgium and trying to practice on my own for the past two years has been difficult without a teacher and without a community to keep me motivated.

Recently -- just this summer -- I moved back to downstate New York.

If you'd be interested in working something out, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading,

themudman
I live in Putnam County, about 40 miles north of NYC. I don't teach for a living but have taught several students who were interested in Jazz Improvisation. What are you looking to accomplish in the next year..? What are your interest's .? Do you want to study more theory ? Can you tell me a little about your musical desires...?
Charley

1 - 10 of 10 Posts