Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title states - I've got a friend who plays a very nice acoustic guitar and plays it very well, I might add. I've finally worked up the courage to ask if we could do a duet some time. He's willing but doesn't know of any acoustic guitar/tenor sax duet arrangements, I'm willing, but also clueless. Anyone got any ideas they could throw this way?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
really depends on your combined skills. You can get simplified arrangements of lots of nice standards, bossas, etc. for piano with chords that the guitar player can adapt to catch the comp feel and fills
But then you have to transpose which is an essential skill anyway to free yourself of having to play Bb or Eb lead sheets.

·
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend is pretty good and used to do some professional-level playing. I really like it when he plays, what I guess is called "classical". I'll have to look it up to be more precise. Sorry, examples elude me right now.

I can transpose okay from concert key, especially if I'm given a bit of a chance to review the piece, and it's not moving tremendously quick.

I did try a youtube search for acoustic guitar/tenor sax duet but there doesn't seem to be anything there. I'll keep searching though.

Perhaps though, the simplest is just to come up with a piece with the chords for the guitar and the melody/harmony for the sax. Anyways, if anyone has any other ideas, bring'em on!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Lead sheet of bossas is the way to start. If he is a true classical player he will have a good sense of harmony using arpeggios, and strummed chords and can work it out with chords only. But there are Jobim books for guitar with it all written out that you can fit the melody to. But any fake book is the logical starting point to try to have fun and work it out together. Have fun!

·
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Steve & SaxTon, that gives me something to focus towards.

I've always liked the Getz/Jobim collaborations! Now, if I could just get a Getz-like vibe going it would really be cool. Got a long ways to go though (yeah, kinda like in a no-way that's going to happen!:) )

I'm definitely the weak link in this pair but it would really be cool to get something going with him on a regular basis.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,359 Posts
I play guitar in an acoustic duo and I've found you can pretty much come up with an acoustic guitar version of darn near anything. It's really defined by whatever melody you play. As long as most of the chords are in the right neighborhood, you're golden. :)

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
856 Posts
Stan getz and Luis Bonfa album ...if you hear them...that could help..in the classical side there are many compositions for flute and guitar that can be adapted for Sax.Giuliani composed for flute and guitar...in this link you can obtain many scores of public domain music for many instruments and guitar...
http://www.free-scores.com/index_uk.php3

·
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I play guitar in an acoustic duo and I've found you can pretty much come up with an acoustic guitar version of darn near anything. It's really defined by whatever melody you play. As long as most of the chords are in the right neighborhood, you're golden. :)
That's part of the problem! My ear tells me I should be able to do "darn near anything" with an acoustic guitar but reality tells me I'm not good enough to do "darn near everything!"

But then again, it would really be fun trying to find a fit with this guy! Never done this before - usually it's pretty much sight reading where I do ok. Only improv I do is of the singing in the shower variety. May be time to step out of the comfort zone though, eh?

·
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks vivace1 & Humbardi. I'll look into your suggestions.

I've seen several flute/guitar arrangements and was wondering if that would work with a tenor sax.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts