Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am looking for a vintage buffet. I fell in love with a 1977 model that belonged to a friend of mine.

Is there anything specific I should look for in a wood clarinet? I do live in canada and I dont like the feel of the composite ones such as the green line.

thanks
Logan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Logan: A friend of mine has an 1887 Buffet (Albert System) Bb soprano clarinet that still plays well. As long as the clarinet you are considering has no cracks and is a known brand (in low-pitch for really early ones), you should be okay. Be aware of the fingering system, too. DAVE

·
14,268 Posts
Boehm? Albert? Oehler? As long as you know which one it is . . . or which one you want to play. Not all clarinets are Boehm System, especially vintage clarinets. DAVE

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you refer to your friends 1977 as vintage, you could look at Evette and Schaeffer

Evette and Schaeffer clarinets evolved into the E13

Vintage, Buffet, wooden - all boxes are ticked

But on Ebay they come up fairly regularly and at low prices

eg Item number: 250148113111 currently - needs a good clean and seeing to though!

The serial number should start with a K for it to be an E13. There are E13 serial number charts that will date a K series Evette and Schaeffer serial such as http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet/Equipment/HowOld/Buffet.html or the buffet web site http://www.buffet-crampon.com/en/instruments.php

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Try looking at post 150K serial range, there were some major improvements in this range. If you like an R13 then chase down the RC or Festival models.

A 1977, is a fairly newish Buffet. I would think vintage would be a 1920's Buffet of which the couple I have played with Boehm keywork have been exceptional instruments.

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I personally play on a pre-r13 buffet professional clarinet from the mid 1940's, never had a crack, and it plays like a dream...the pre-r13's are easy to find on ebay and here on the forums (here, they pop up one or two every week or so), and the closer the production date gets to the mid 50's, the closer they are to an actual early r13 (mid 4xxxx serial numbers).

If you like a vintage, kinda dark tone, these clarinets are nice. I have mine setup with a vandoren optimum ligature, harry lindeman mouthpiece, and vandoren 56 reeds.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a 92,XXX R13 that I could sell to you. It sounds great, but plays flat for me with Morgan Rm28. My other 2 clarinets don't play flat, so I don't know where the problem or solution lies. Nickle keys. $375.00.

·
3,329 Posts
I have a very vintage Buffet Boehm from the 20s, and find it much more open and with a somewhat lighter, considerably brighter and less complex sound than the R13. If you don't like the resistance in the R13 look for a pre-polycylindrical bore instrument, but 1977 is right in the middle of the R13 range, and is considerably different than its predecessors.

Toby

1 - 11 of 11 Posts