Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is looking for a neck strap which can ideally be personalised with designs images or an engraved silver disc - this is for someone's 50th birthday?

guess we are really looking for a high quality leather strap wide enough and plain enough to be able to be personalised by a leather craftsman or similar?

anyone any suggestions?

Many thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
If your wife or girlfriend is handy with a needle and thread, (or has a decent sewing machine), unpick any standard strap. Remove the neck part. Take it to a saddler or leather worker and talk over what design you'd like. take the neck part with the slots cut in it with you so they can get an idea of how big a slot to cut at each end of the neck part.

Then get the new leather neck part and thread the strap back through and sew it up again.

I did this with Bootman for a Bari strap.

If you explain what it's needed for, ie a sax, the saddler will shape the leather to form around your neck.

If you want to go the whole hog, you could get the whole thing done in leather.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Yeah..any good leather man should do it. Artwork, even a rough sketch as to any design. I have been meaning to do this for a while. Not for aesthetics. I cannot stand slippage in a sling. Hole and buckle all the way. To your ideal position every time. Stu in Bradford gave me a real nice Italian one a few years back. Good luck man. Look forward to seeing it...a

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Find a good tack shop in your area and have one made anyway you want it. Beside my regular Ray Hymans I've had a couple made over the years, the last one made that I still have is thin black calf lined with softer kid, for adjustment it has a simple brass "conway" buckle that works great.

A good western tack shop will have an unlimited selection of silver conchos, rosettes and fanciest buckles etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts