Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not allowed to see the seller/buyer form so i am asking here: i am looking to buy a 65 or even 64.5 mm Selmer barrel for my 1950 Selmer or get feedback on a replament either a Fobes or a Ridenour. Not looking for something like a Bakum just way overpriced in my opinion
TIA
Dana

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
Why are you not allowed in the for sale section? You should, you have been a member long enough.

I am contacting the staff on your behalf.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
I am not allowed to see the seller/buyer form so i am asking here: i am looking to buy a 65 or even 64.5 mm Selmer barrel for my 1950 Selmer or get feedback on a replament either a Fobes or a Ridenour. Not looking for something like a Bakum just way overpriced in my opinion
TIA
Dana
rare to see individual barrels on here, but even more rare to see individual barrels from the manufacturers themselves. Usually it's aftermarket barrels.

That said, I have been really happy with these barrels, especially for doubling since they are HR and much more stable than most wood barrels I've tried. I have one of each and prefer the svelte for most of my playing. I am playing them on a similar era Leblanc and was having a nightmare of a time playing it in tune and it wasn't that the whole thing was sharp or flat, it was bouncing all over the place. My Buffet was fine so I knew it wasn't me, but neither of the barrels I have for the Buffet would fit since their tenons are smaller. Got the new barrels in and it was spot on. Point of that was the old bore dimensions don't always play nice with new barrels and these ones do.
https://www.clarinetmouthpiece.com/product-page/evo-bb-clarinet-barrels
https://www.clarinetmouthpiece.com/product-page/evo-bb-a-svelte-clarinet-barrels

This one by Backun is really good as well and a bit cheaper than the Behn's and a lot cheaper than a normal Backun barrel if you want to stay with wood.
https://www.kesslerandsons.com/product/kessler-custom-by-backun-clarinet-barrel/

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is a nice grenadilla 66mm Backun barrel on eBay for $85/best offer. Definitely give it a look.
The OP said they’re looking for a 65 and doesn't want a Backun ...

To the OP - I’d give Clark Fobes a ring, or Walter Grabner, they both make excellent stuff, mouthpieces, barrels etc. They’ll probably ask what mouthpiece you’re using and the model of your clarinet so they can then work out the dimensions of the bore of a barrel that should be a fit for your clarinet. Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The OP said they’re looking for a 65 and doesn't want a Backun ...

To the OP - I’d give Clark Fobes a ring, or Walter Grabner, they both make excellent stuff, mouthpieces, barrels etc. They’ll probably ask what mouthpiece you’re using and the model of your clarinet so they can then work out the dimensions of the bore of a barrel that should be a fit for your clarinet. Good luck.
Thanks to all I check out all the suggestions. If I could get in the marketplace that would sure be nice.
I am also assuming that all the tunable barrels are junk, right?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Talk to Clark Fobes. His barrels are terrific. His synthetic barrel plays great (even, smooth, responsive with great intonation) and is only about $100. A real bargain.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
Thanks to all I check out all the suggestions. If I could get in the marketplace that would sure be nice.
I am also assuming that all the tunable barrels are junk, right?
I have one and it's not "bad", but it's not great. It's convenient if you need to go to the extremes if playing outside or something. It's convenient if you need to figure out which length barrel you need and can't test all of them. The sound is usually not that great and it's really not something you should do for an "everyday" barrel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts