Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking for a jazz piece for alto, because I am in a jazz band, and frankly, I don't think my Caravan piece will cut it. I am looking for these things:

1. Made out of anything but metal, since I can't afford a metal piece

2. Has a removable spoiler, since I can get a rock piece and a jazz piece in one

3. Has a sweet, slightly bright, and slightly edgy sound that can get loud enough for lead alto in a big band (without the spoiler).

4. Has a loud, edgy, bright sound perfect for playing in a rock band, kind of Sanborn-ish(with the spoiler).

5. Has very good intonation, control on low and high notes, and altissimo.

6. Works with a 1934 Buescher New Aristocrat

I am kind of leaning toward a Jody Jazz classic, since I have hear good things about it, but I do not know much about the Runyons. Is there a Runyon piece that would fit my needs well? Are there any other pieces that come with spoilers? Also, what facing would be best? Thanks for answering.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Try the Jody Jazz Classic or Runyon Custom, the differences are subtle, and one may speak for you just the way you need it too.

Id suggest size 7

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I know that you want something with a spoiler for rock for that 'Sanborn' sound, but I still must say that if you spend a lot of time on a classical piece like a caravan, a stock Meyer in a 5-7 tip will do you great for jazz. For a bit extra, pop for a barone NY--it has the Meyer vibe with the same sort of resistance that a classical piece has.

I'd see if I could try a couple of pieces out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I play on a new stock Meyer 7M medium chamber and it plays great. They're just different from the old ones but basically have the same sound.. get a small chamber if you're looking for a brighter sound. I can't imagine needing to be much brighter than I am with a Fibracell on mine though. Just try a few of them, I didn't think I liked Meyers until I played this one. Don't rule a piece out just because of the SOTW myths like unplayable modern Links and Meyers, play it because it speaks to you(not me or anyone else). I'd play the Jody Jazz, a couple Meyers and anything else you can get your hands on that's fairly conservative with baffle and tip opening.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I had a 7M, loved it. Runyon Custom, doesn't touch it in sound quality though. To bad mine broke :(

Edit:

The breaking was my fault. Not due to poor quality on the piece.

·
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'll probably try out some Meyers and Links, but I don't want to have to buy another mouthpiece for playing with a rock band.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would be comfortable blowing my 7 in a rock band with a Fibracell reed, but I tend to play aggressively and bright.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
If you play a Meyer with a plasticover or a fibracel you would probably be ok for rock. As for the Meyer quality being bad, I recently played the only four Meyers the local store had in stock in 6m and 7m facings, and all played very well.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
An PRC will definitely do the job, still maintain that beautiful Buescher tone, and won't require a spoiler. But you have to be willing to wait for it. "Good things come to those who wait," or something like that.

I do have a JJ mouthpiece that plays pretty well on my TT alto, but prefer a Link I have. If I ever really played the alto much I'd definitely get an RPC, though. I tried one a friend has and it outplayed the other 2 by quite a margin.

·
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RPC's are kinda expensive. How long do you have to wait to get one? Are they flexible enough to meet my requirements without a spoiler?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
RPCs are the most versatile mouthpiece I know of. I use them for everything from screaming rock via bebop and swing to very very soft gentle ballads and classical style. Re: the wait, best to ring Ron a nd speak to him about it.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
zxcvbnm said:
RPC's are kinda expensive. How long do you have to wait to get one? Are they flexible enough to meet my requirements without a spoiler?
I would have recommended an RPC, but thought it might be a bit expensive for you. YES,YES, YES- no need for a spoiler. Pete's right, RPCs are the bomb. If only I could get him to make a soprano piece...<sigh>

The wait could be from 3-6 months, depending on what 'batch' (alto, tenor, bari) he's making. Alternatively, you could get one use here on SOTW or ebay.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
maestroelite said:
I play on a new stock Meyer 7M medium chamber and it plays great. They're just different from the old ones but basically have the same sound.. get a small chamber if you're looking for a brighter sound. I can't imagine needing to be much brighter than I am with a Fibracell on mine though. Just try a few of them, I didn't think I liked Meyers until I played this one. Don't rule a piece out just because of the SOTW myths like unplayable modern Links and Meyers, play it because it speaks to you(not me or anyone else). I'd play the Jody Jazz, a couple Meyers and anything else you can get your hands on that's fairly conservative with baffle and tip opening.
I'm with you on that. The new Links and Meyers play as well as the "vintage" ones the guys think are worth $1000. I've played quite a few crappy old Links.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a Meyer G. I love it. It has a very contemporary sound with a bright and edgy tone. In my experience, so far, it has the ability to blend in with any jazz ensemble that I'm in. Nevertheless, it has the capability of standing out and being heard when you need it to.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had a Meyer 5M and dropped it. I just bought another Meyer 6M. Great piece and works well on my new vintage alto. I went down to a 2 1/2 Vandoren java reed though. Put me out $95.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Link STM and i love it. However i wouldn't say it would give you a bright or edgy tone if thats what you are looking for, its pretty mellow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts