Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to a jazz summer camp and part of the audition/placement on the first day is an etude. I talked to my band directors about it, and they said that a ballad would be best to contradict the blues improvisation.

Where do I even begin to look for one? Because my directors haven't gotten back to me about finding one, at all.

For reference, I'm a current freshman in high school, but I was in the middle level jazz band rather than the beginner level.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm not sure they want a ballad if they said an "etude" which normally is
a musical composition, usually instrumental, intended mainly for the practice of some point of technique. It should have some difficulty to display technique. Most ballads don't fall into this category. By technique, I mean facility & dexterity. Ballads are good for displaying one's sound & interpretation of the tune. I would question them about what they mean by an etude. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Swaman is likely right, a ballad and an etude are not necessarily one in the same- particularly in the Jazz idiom. The Fishman books are great, and a lot of fun. They are also very technical & possibly past your level of ability/experience. Check out the Lennie Niehaus Intermediate Jazz Conception and Advanced Jazz Conception Books, or the Jim Snidero Jazz Conception. Both have both lyrical and technical etudes. Good luck!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Why not a selection from the Charlie Parker Omnibook?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts