Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’m looking to get a hold of a Buffet Greenline barrel in a 64 mm length, wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to look. I see on the Buffet site you can order an Icon model in Greenline, spoke to a local shop about ordering one but wondering if I could expedite getting one if I dealt with a specialty shop or perhaps a dealer in Europe. Thanks for any advice!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
milandro beat me to it. I recently wanted a short Buffet barrel for my RC Prestige and Matthews had one and sent it immediately. Same thing when I bought a Yamaha German System clarinet . . . they sent it quickly. Easy transactions. DAVE

·
38,840 Posts
Matthews has a very direct line with Buffet.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks for the tip! Just sent them an email. Haven’t seen many Greenline barrels floating around. Using a synthetic Pyne barrel presently, but curious to get a hold of a Greenline barrel to match the body. The stock 66 length plays nicely but is just too long for my playing situations, doubling and jazz/commercial work. The wood barrels I have just don’t play as well for me on my horn. Like to be done with the wood component if possible!

Cheers,

Ving

·
38,840 Posts
they exist in several lengths and the only thing is the capability to deal with the ordering and receiving it quickly ( a shop with a lesser volume of business may have to wait a lot longer) and shipping process

https://www.buffet-crampon.com/en/accessories/barrels/

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right! I’ve checked out the site. A shop locally where I used to work had attempted a special order but you’re right, the timeframe on that is sketchy at best...

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like Matthews has an RC 64mm barrel in stock, any thoughts on if that’s a good match for an R13 bore? I have to admit I don’t know much about the RC model clarinets.

·
38,840 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, they can order an Icon barrel in Greenline but wait is 3 months. Not a big deal really, I can wait so I may go that route.

·
38,840 Posts
very long a wait and there is aways the chance that in the end you don’t like it

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
FWIW, I play an RC Prestige Buffet and have an older R13 and E-11 in back-up (along with other clarinets). I am NOT a trained clarinetist but I can get along okay in some trad-jazz tunes with clarinet. My three Buffet clarinets are similar in feel, tone and response. Hard to tell one from another.

I have a few barrels, Buffet and one I had made especially for my RC, shorter than normal that allow me to come to pitch, and they all play about the same. I realize there MAY be subtle differences among the various barrels for some players, but I'm unable to identify any issues among them.

My point is that maybe the 64mm barrel offered by Matthews will work for you. The only way to know is to try it. DAVE

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW, I play an RC Prestige Buffet and have an older R13 and E-11 in back-up (along with other clarinets). I am NOT a trained clarinetist but I can get along okay in some trad-jazz tunes with clarinet. My three Buffet clarinets are similar in feel, tone and response. Hard to tell one from another.

I have a few barrels, Buffet and one I had made especially for my RC, shorter than normal that allow me to come to pitch, and they all play about the same. I realize there MAY be subtle differences among the various barrels for some players, but I'm unable to identify any issues among them.

My point is that maybe the 64mm barrel offered by Matthews will work for you. The only way to know is to try it. DAVE

I did own an Icon wood barrel, and it played well but was also maybe a bit darker than I would prefer. Mainly, though, I didn't feel like it resonated as well on the Greenline body. I purchased it when I had my wooden R13.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Plus one that the OP might wait months for the Icon Greenline barrel, and then not like it. Every barrel plays differently, and Buffet is pretty much the poster child for poor quality control. There are a variety of barrels from fine makers, made in a variety of organic and non-organic materials, that can be tried and returned if not satisfied.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've played quite a few synthetic barrels, Fobes, Behn, etc. I am currently using one of two Pyne barrels, switching between a 64 and 65 in the 4++ taper. Whatever that means. They play great, but I feel like some core is missing from the sound. Thus why I was curious to try matching a greenline barrel to the body in my preferred length. (I am trying to figure out if it would be similar to the experience I had with my Mark VI selmer tenor, a newer aftermarket neck played very efficiently but to me didn't have the same core as when I found a different vintage selmer neck). ANyhow, thanks for the responses! Depending on the price, I might just order the RC barrel and give it a try.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided to just use what I have for now, thx. I'll wait and see if the Icon special order ever shows up at my local shop. Since I'm not in a hurry figured this is the prudent thing to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts