Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may be in the market to buy a tenor. Looking for a used tenor. Vintage, or what have you, brand doesnt necessarily matter, but I definitely like the 10M kinda sound. So anything along those lines would be cool. Ive seen tenors on these forums go for pretty cheap, so here is my budget that Im looking to spend with. Around $800. Would anyone suggest any good tenors in this kind of price range? If you are selling, then I may be interested. Just know I dont have the funds right now, and that I might be in the market for a tenor soon. Any kind of tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,487 Posts
When I saw your title, I thought to myself, "here we go again, someone else looking for a good, working $250 tenor."

I'm pretty relieved that you have a proper budget. You should be able to find a what you're looking for fairly easily.

Alas, I have no tenor for you myself, but I would reach out to JayeSF at his website, www.2ndending.com to see what he might have in the pipe for that amount, given you don't have the funds yet. I don't know Jay, but he seems a decent guy and has been around here awhile. His site seems to focus on selling less-well-known and non-premium vintage instruments.

I'm sure you'll get a dozen recommendations for particular horns (esp for the YTS-23 recommendation, even though it's really not like a 10M), but I've always thought that the issue of who you purchase from is at least as important as what model you buy

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have delt with 2ndending and he is great to deal with before and after a purschase.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
I have a very nice yamaha 52 tenor listed for 925 or 950. It is in excellent shape and plays very well. A great sax for the money.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you can come up with $800 you might want to consider one of the Chinese imports (new) that start around $820 or so and go up from there, depending on the model and the finish. At least that's where the Bahaus-Walstein tenor saxes start and they have received some good reviews from SOTW members who should know. Unless you're really sold on the "vintage" idea, then these might be worth considering.

And just for clarification I have NOT played one or the B-W horns nor do I have any connection with the company. I've just been researching less expensive options while I'm thinking about picking up a curved soprano. The prices I quote here came from "Woodwind & Brass LTD" web site. I'm not very adept at this kind of thing but I'll try to copy the web address here. Good luck!

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/yanagisawa_tenor_saxophone_selmer_tenor_saxophone.html

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! Mahalos for your replies! 2ndending definitely has a ton of good looking tenors for sure! Thanks for that heads up there! Pretty much exactly what I was looking for! I've also considered getting an OS tenor to match my alto as well. It definitely would be funky cool. Been having a blast with my OS alto. The BW is also a horn that intrigues me. Definitely heard a lot of great things on the forums. I guess for now, I'm browsing until I can scrounge up my budget limits to buy a sax. Again, thanks for your replies. It's helping me a lot. :)

·
2,620 Posts
You can also get a late 10M ('65-'67 or so) for that price. Less of the "cool" factor, but the 10M sound nonetheless. I sold mine, but someone else had one on here for $750 or so, on another thread with a similar title...

·
2,620 Posts
Oh, and +1 for JayeSF, who has www.2ndending.com. He is good to deal with. You may also want to contact him directly, as he usually seems to have a bunch of horns that are not up on his website yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Thank you folks for the references, Ham and Art and JfW....

HSM...my current offerings of sub-$800 tenors (only the first one is listed on my website, the rest are still on the bench but can be turned around in 7 calendar days):

~ Conn 16M 1970 (MX). $395

~ Conn 16M 1959 (usa). $575

~ Martin-made Olds Ambassador , '40's. $485 - This is a Handcraft stencil

~ Pierret-made Olds Ambassador, 1960's. $550

~ R. Malerne stencil, '60's. $500

~ Conn Transitional "George M. Bundy" 1930's, $595. (same model as Wayne Shorter's early horn)

~ Borgani, "laurel" logo, '70's $685

~ Weltklang (became B&S) '60's. $560

~ King Cleveland "acorn" engraving, mid 60's Eastlake, really minty, 90% lacquer $625.

As always, guaranteed to arrive in full playing shape or you can refund/return. Any fit the bill for that great ol' vintage Tenor tone. The darkest horns are probably the 16M's, the Conn Bundy, and the Weltklang. The edgiest horns would be the Borgani, and Pierret. The Martin, Cleve, and Malerne fall in-between.
Any of these, IMHO, will just completely lay waste to a contemporary model under $1500.....

(BTW....$800's a good budget nowadays. You don't HAVE to up it at all. If you did by $100 or so, it'd start getting you into late-10M, King Zeph, and Buescher-400 range...but whether 8 bill$ or 9, you are already in the quality vintage 'hood).

Cheers.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
2,620 Posts
I have a Cleveland tenor - the sound is really nice, especially for the price. Not quite as rich as a late 10M, but close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts