Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking to buy a fat neck for my lady godiva tenor. Anyone got one up for sale let me know!! thanks.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
These don't seem to come up for sale often. I have bought two through different Cannonball dealers for a fair price. Much lower than a lot of after-market necks out there. PM me if you want to talk more...I assume you know a local dealer if you have a new horn. They should give you a good deal if you just bought a sax from them.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Randall can provide more information on this, but I am pretty certain that the Fat Necks were designed to go with the Big Bell Stone Series saxes that have a different bore and taper than the Vintage series that includes your Godiva. The tenon of a Fat Neck could possibly be resized to fit your sax, but it likely that the intonation would be out of whack due to the different designs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These don't seem to come up for sale often. I have bought two through different Cannonball dealers for a fair price. Much lower than a lot of after-market necks out there. PM me if you want to talk more...I assume you know a local dealer if you have a new horn. They should give you a good deal if you just bought a sax from them.
Yeah I was hoping to luck out and find somebody selling one... I can get one from a local dealer for 500 bucks. I saw somebody on here selling one for 200 a little while ago, and money is tight for me right now so I figured it was worth a shot.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Yeah I was hoping to luck out and find somebody selling one... I can get one from a local dealer for 500 bucks. I saw somebody on here selling one for 200 a little while ago, and money is tight for me right now so I figured it was worth a shot.
What finish are you looking for? I could ask around for you. There are lots of CB's in my area.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
$500 is very high in my opinion. Where do you live? I won't post what I paid for mine, but if you PM me (I can't PM you, disabled on your account?), I don't mind giving you an idea of what I paid. I bought one in New England 2 years ago and one in Texas this year; both within $25 in price (Texas wanted a bit more, but I told him what I had paid elsewhere). A friend of mine in Michigan bought one new for the same price as I did.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swperry1 - Yeah i can't figure out the PM thing... I just joined last night, so maybe they have to activate something. If you want to email me @ [email protected] that'd be great thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,470 Posts
I thought this thread was about Henry Rollins. Damn.

B

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had two different tenor fat necks, each at different times. Both seemed a smidge too bright for me, so I flipped them. Each time for $200. I can see where some players would really like them, tho.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm using a Fat Neck on my Lady Godiva tenor and it's perfect. Perfectly finished up the tenor sound I was looking for. Fat and dark with just enough edge from the Fat Neck. It even fixed the intonation issues I was having at top and bottom of the horn.

A dealer asking $500 should be criminal. I've checked with 3 different dealers and two of them wanted $250 with the third asking $275. I picked mine up for around $200 used here on the forum. There have been tons of posts about Cannonball's sales practices and I still can't make up my mind about them, but things like some dealers asking $500 for an item that other dealers are selling for half that (and it being nearly impossible for the consumer to comparison shop) is a major black mark against them.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm using a Fat Neck on my Lady Godiva tenor and it's perfect. Perfectly finished up the tenor sound I was looking for. Fat and dark with just enough edge from the Fat Neck. It even fixed the intonation issues I was having at top and bottom of the horn.

A dealer asking $500 should be criminal. I've checked with 3 different dealers and two of them wanted $250 with the third asking $275. I picked mine up for around $200 used here on the forum. There have been tons of posts about Cannonball's sales practices and I still can't make up my mind about them, but things like some dealers asking $500 for an item that other dealers are selling for half that (and it being nearly impossible for the consumer to comparison shop) is a major black mark against them.

Good luck on your search.
Yeah... The dealer was actually asking 425 not 500 that was a mistake but still... and I agree with what you said about cannonball, on one hand its good they're trying to support local music store by staying off the internet, but I think at some point they are going to have to go online because nowadays you just gotta be online. Does your fat neck match the finish on your lady godiva?

·
Registered
365 Posts
My Godiva is bare brass and the neck is silver plated. I don't think the finish has any effect on anything, I just got the bare brass because it was cheaper. And putting the silver neck on it makes me feel more like Mike Brecker (j/k).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a correction... I was going through my old emails and found the price for the fat neck was atually 320 not 500... Don't know why but 500 just popped in my head for some reason.

·
Registered
118 Posts
did you find a neck? i have one for sale right now in the marketplace section (parts for sale). richard

·
Registered
118 Posts
you can look in "parts for sale" under marketplace. anyway, its sterling silver, $200, perfect condition, i am only owner (for 8 months), never gigged.

·
Registered
118 Posts
my horn is a lady godiva also, and i picked this one out of 5 necks. it's really, really good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts