Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to offer a stock mouthpiece with a new line of altos that is actually good. I want a stock mouthpiece that retails or has an MAP of $200 or lower that I can pair with the altos. It doesn't have to be classical or jazz specific, it just has to play well: even scale both intonation and timbre, quick response, strong high notes and easy low notes.

If I end up carrying what you recommend, I'll happily do you a solid.

Actually, this goes for tenors and baritones as well, but right now the alto is what I'm on.

Suggestions? Reviews?

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,801 Posts
I've always thought that for under $200, Vandoren Mouthpieces are the best of the bunch, the whole line other than their metal tenor piece is under $200 I think, very diverse offerings too classical - AL or Optimum, Jazz - V16, Java, Jumbo Java. I've always thought (and heard) that the finishing work from Vandoren is incredible, especially for mass production.

Jody Jazz is great too, with the HR* and Jet under $200. He also owns E. Rousseau, which are great in that price range with some classical and jazz pieces.

An intriguing option for you could be Get-A-Sax, who is making a series of amazing replica mouthpieces for $200. The Meyer NY is coming soon for alto.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
The JodyJazz pieces are solid choices, but are considerably brighter and if you're pairing them an alto that is already medium-bright, you might get too many highs in the sound. Still solid mouthpieces and one of the better bargains in the mouthpiece world. $189 retail.

I've heard good things about Windy City Woodwinds pieces. 3-D printed, hand finished, and you can even have "Just Saxes" custom-engraved on them. Dirt cheap at $90 a pop and that includes the engraving. They have a jazz, concert, and "bright" model for alto in a variety of tip openings and colors. There's the new WCW 56 mouthpiece that Dr. Wally Wallace on YouTube helped design...I believe it's modeled after a vintage Brilhart Tonalin. Dr. Wallace plays like Desmond, so it's intended for that "cool school" type of sound. Alto Saxophone | Windy City Woodwinds

The Vandoren V16 is a great standard as J-Moen mentioned. Usually good pieces; all machine-done but consistency is generally regarded as being good. Usually around $140 retail.

The Selmer Soloist pieces are usually good choices. The C* is a great choice for classical and the D and E openings work well for jazz as well. I think they retail around $190.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,480 Posts
For alto, under $200, I'd go with the D'Addario Select Jazz. The consistency and finishing are outstanding, and they have pretty middle-of-the road geometry (i.e., medium chamber, low baffle) which makes them flexible enough to be used for classical, jazz, or other types of music.

If money were no object, or if I were given the chance to play test and select the best from among a batch of hand-faced mouthpieces, then these wouldn't necessarily be my favorite. However, they are hands-down my first recommendation to an advancing student, for example, or to anyone who doesn't have the ability to select mouthpieces in person.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can attest to the quality of Jodyjazz, I have a Jet and it plays extremely well (though I would not recommend that model because it is very bright and loud). I haven't touched the new Rousseau pieces but since they are made by Jodyjazz that is a vote of confidence in my opinion. They are also a little cheaper.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I really like the Phil-Tone Orion, but Phil's selling it at 195€, so that's just a tad out of the range. How about the Windy City '56? $90, the main problem is that it only comes in an 0.080" tip. If you can't tell I'm kinda partial to the Brilhart sound, though I also like the idea of waiting for the GS Meyer copy.

Of course these are all smaller makers so it might be hard for them to keep up with your needs in addition to their own. In that case I'd say Vandoren.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
257 Posts
Contrary to some bad press a few years back, JJ Babbitt does excellent work. They produce several brands are a "go to" place for a house brand mouth piece. Hite, Otto Link and Meyer are three of their brands. Cannonball uses them for their house brand. I am sure they could produce a mouth piece in your range, perhaps a Meyer clone.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Dark horse: Fobes. Very impressed by his clarinet and alto mouthpieces. Definitely a step above most stock pieces (Yamaha) but well below $200.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would think that the Yamaha Custom HR mouthpieces, made of premium ebonite, would be an excellent choice. 4CM, 5CM, 6CM and 7CM tip openings give you a range for beginner to advanced players.

To be clear, there is obviously a very distinct difference between the Custom lineup and their plastic mouthpieces, like the 4C and 5C.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,610 Posts
there is obviously a very distinct difference between the Custom lineup and their plastic mouthpieces, like the 4C and 5C.
Apart from the price, what is that difference? To me the basic 4C is any bit as good as the more expensive "custom"

And thinking of that, I would also recommend for palo the 4c (ie the basic one) as very viable.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Apart from the price, what is that difference? To me the basic 4C is any bit as good as the more expensive "custom"

And thinking of that, I would also recooned for palo the 4c (ie the basic one) as very viable.
[/QUOTE

The hard rubber for me responds and sounds richer than plastic. The price difference is - I would assume - for the difference of having premium ebonite in the Custom models instead of plastic in the basic models. Also some R&D that they worked with some professional musicians and, using their mouthpieces and feedback as points of reference, they made design innovations to the Custom models. I know that some folks do think that plastic mouthpieces sound (and feel for the player) just as good as hard rubber. That’s fine but I don’t. That’s why I recommended what I did.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,801 Posts
The hard rubber for me responds and sounds richer than plastic. The price difference is - I would assume - for the difference of having premium ebonite over plastic. Are you one of those folks that thinks plastic mouthpieces sound (and feel for the player) just as good as hard rubber? That’s fine but I don’t. That’s why I recommended what I did.
I believe there are some other differences in design, especially when you consider the customs are hand faced. But the standard series is based upon the custom:

Also, I believe the common consensus from folks here is that material of Mouthpieces makes no difference. But that should probably be in its own relevant thread (or any of the 1000s of previous ones)

·
Registered
262 Posts
The hard rubber for me responds and sounds richer than plastic. The price difference is - I would assume - for the difference of having premium ebonite in the Custom models instead of plastic in the basic models. Also some R&D that they worked with some professional musicians and, using their mouthpieces and feedback as points of reference, they made design innovations to the Custom models. I know that some folks do think that plastic mouthpieces sound (and feel for the player) just as good as hard rubber. That’s fine but I don’t. That’s why I recommended what I did.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I believe there are some other differences in design, especially when you consider the customs are hand faced. But the standard series is based upon the custom:

Also, I believe the common consensus from folks here is that material of Mouthpieces makes no difference. But that should probably be in its own relevant thread (or any of the 1000s of previous ones)
Yeah I copy all of that Jay, I know because I’ve been beaten up on here almost every time I say that materials affect anything to any degree. When it comes to hard rubber versus plastic nobody in the world can tell me they feel the same to my top teeth and palate and head while I play, even if they think they sound identical - which I don’t. <smile>

Reactions: J-Moen

·
Registered
262 Posts

Just between you and me <wink> I wonder how many folks in the consensus that all materials sound the same happen to own $500 - $1000 USD hard rubber mouthpieces and drool over vintage Slant Signature Links and NY Meyer Bros pieces, right?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts