Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for a new classical piece. I'm currently using a s-90 on a cannonball stone series with hemke 3.5 and a fl lig. Talking to others my sound hasn't changed but latley I've been wanting something more. It's not that I'm unhappy but I'm looking for something with a little more body, if that makes any sense. If anyone has any suggestions I would be greatfull.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Alto? Tenor?

If it's more "body" you're looking for, just make sure you get a round-chambered mpc. Rascher, Caravan, Morgan, a 1930s-vintage Conn, Buescher, or King, or even a current production Otto Link hard rubber.

·
Registered
471 Posts
the Selmer S90 is a great mouthpiece, but the facing is relatively inconsistent, therefore many people like to buy 3-5 of them and play all of them to see which is the best, you might want to try that,
but if even through years of practicing longtones you don't get the sound/"body" you desire, check out anything in the Index Thread

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39665

·
Registered
815 Posts
my S90 is very good...it is a 190...also using Hemke 3.5....before this I used a Rascher...also very nice mpc...

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
I like the S90, but find that I keep going back to my vintage scroll-shank C* soloist. I also have a vintage scrolled Larry Teal that I am impressed with and am also getting positive results from the Vandoren AL3, but the AL3 has the least body, and the LT is a little bit bright for my tastes. I really like the horseshoe chamber of the old soloist. I get a HUGE sound that is constantly getting me compliments. Also, my experience with the Rousseau mouthpieces both old and new has left me unimpressed, yet my teacher loves his, so to each his own.
(my .02)

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah i would also recommend the al-3,

coming from a selmer mouthpiece, the al-3 tends to play similar except a little easy blowing and more responsive low end

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for responses everyone. By the way I have a lt that I don't really like as well as a old soloist, c*, that doesn't do it for me either. I also do long tones, overtones, and mouthpiece work every day in my warmup, I make my students do them as well. Its not that I don't like my sound, or that my teacher doesn't like it, its just that I want something more, insert intangible word here. After looking around I think I'll try a morgan, does everyone play a 3c or do people use others as well. By the way I am talking about alto. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts