Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice Yamaha 561 that I enjoy playing church gigs and when I'm teaching at school. Awesome flute for the money. But I want to get a flute for the occasional solos with the commercial/wedding band. I'll have to work out some way to hook my wireless. I'll probably solder a ridge/tab to the head joint so this can't be an expensive thing.

On e-bay the Yamaha beginner flutes are over $100. What I'm looking for in the sleeper brands. Good Years of Bundy or Artley ETC. Buy it for $25 put in a few pads and work out the wireless thing. I'll have a nice little double without worry. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
If it's $25, it's probably for a reason - Its value after working on it is likely to be less than the money that needs to be spent on it. So at best, you're buying a huge unknown. Is the gamble worth it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Just buy an extra headjoint...the intermediate CYs from the 300/400 series are not bad and can be gotten for $250. Then you can still play the fancy flute you are used to. An alternative is to get a clipon mike like the K&K Silver Bullet with a belt pack. Pick up the flute and plug it in...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone for the thoughts:

I'm more worried about some drunk knocking over my stuff in a bar. These are not always the classiest gigs I'm playing. I'll probably only play one or two little things a night on flute so that's why I'm thinkin cheap.

I want to use the same wireless I have on my sax, just do a quick switch, up the volume pedal and play away. A clamp might work but a permanent full-time flute mic at this stage may be a bit much.

I should have just kept the Armstrong Model 80 I sold on SOTW last year. :?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
If you're interested, I have a Yamaha 261 flute, pads are in good shape but it could use some adjustment. $100

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like the Artleys from the early 60's. I've bought a few on ebay, all for less than $40 each -- to tinker with, and try to learn to work on. One is a Symphony model I got for $35, and I'm playing it when our band plays a wedding reception, or whatever, because I don't want my other instruments banged up. I actually like the way it plays (as is) better than my better flutes (Okay, so they're Gemeinhardts), even if it has a little leak. I think the older Artleys have a larger bore, maybe like .780"-.785", or so. Probably helps the low range response.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts