Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Martin Handcraft Imperial Tenor. I want to get a sturdy and less bulky case. I am concerned about the B and Bb keys being on the opposite side of the bell. Anyone out there know of a good and reasonable priced case that works for vintage horns like this.
Thanks,
G

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
I keep mine in the original cases but I have some Protecs and they fit it great. Are you selling the original case? I may be able to work a trade with the protec.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Dave at Junkdude sells some modern cases that will fit a Martin. I think, specifically, the SKB rectangular (not the contoured) case will work. I seem to recall he specifically said that the contoured ones won't work for horns with left-sided bell keys. (That's SKB, not Pro Tec). If you call and tell him what model horn you've got he can probably advise you (he may test one out while you're on the phone).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This question is for people who've used ProTecs - Does the ProTex Xtreme (rectangular backpack style) case work with Martins equally as well as the contoured case? Thanks in advance.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bruce bailey said:
I keep mine in the original cases but I have some Protecs and they fit it great. Are you selling the original case? I may be able to work a trade with the protec.
I will be offering the original case to the gal that sold me the horn first....there was some sentimental value for her with the horn altogether.
Thanks for the offer though.:)
G

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I have a similar, though perhaps, worse problem: I need a case for a Martin "The Martin" bari. The dealer I bought it from stuck it in a junk case that had been a high school band bari case, not the case the Martin arrived in his shop with (that one, he said, fell apart). He promised me a better one, but of course after I paid him he forgot about me; and now I live in a different city. About the only thing I see out that that would probably work is a ProTec, but I'd rather have something more substantial. Any suggestions, anyone?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
I dont know why some people dont fit the contoured SKB cases. My martin tenor easily fit into the SKB pro contoured case, no squeezing, or reshaping of the interior required

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
623 Posts
The SKB countoured case without the outside pocket, and the model with the outisde pocket dont have the same fit.

I have altos of these cases, both of them, and an alto Handcraft Imperial. My alto sax will fit well in the SKB countoured case with the pocket, but not the one without the pocket.

The one with the pocket has more room for the sax and i think seems more protective too since there is more area of foam around the sax.

The Handcraft Imperial model has oversized key guards that makes it a bad fit for most cases.

Of modern cases, my alto will fit in an SKB countoured case (with pockets) but not the cheaper SKB countoured case. Also it will fit very wel in a Protec rectangular case (but is not a good fit in a 4 year old countored protec case-- i can squeeze it in there but its a tight fit.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,908 Posts
garyinla said:
The SKB countoured case without the outside pocket, and the model with the outisde pocket dont have the same fit.

I have altos of these cases, both of them, and an alto Handcraft Imperial. My alto sax will fit well in the SKB countoured case with the pocket, but not the one without the pocket.

The one with the pocket has more room for the sax and i think seems more protective too since there is more area of foam around the sax.

The Handcraft Imperial model has oversized key guards that makes it a bad fit for most cases.

Of modern cases, my alto will fit in an SKB countoured case (with pockets) but not the cheaper SKB countoured case. Also it will fit very wel in a Protec rectangular case (but is not a good fit in a 4 year old countored protec case-- i can squeeze it in there but its a tight fit.)
Just checkin, my horn is in the contoured SKB with the external pocket, which is a great case with a great price

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
623 Posts
Martin Williams,

You dont have a Handcraft Imperial. This model has very oversizd key guards and is a more difficult sax to fit in a case than a CommII or a THE MARTIN model.

I have altos of those other 2 models, too, and they fit in any case i have tried, although on the SKB cheaper model countoured case i had to pound down the foam a little with a hammer.

The alto HANDCRAFT IMPERIAL though is seriously oversized with the keyguards. I managed to make it fit in a Propac countoured case but the keyguard ends up right up against the sidewall of the case and i dotn think thats a good idea. So i dont use it in that case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts