Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Martin Commitee 3 baritone, 38 BA Selmer Tenor, 58 Super dynaction Buffet Alto, 28 Martin soprar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little tired of my tenor Selmer Balanced action, despite all its qualities.
I am considering returning to a Martin commitee 3 (I had one from 1946 that I shouldn't have sold!) But the Buescher Big b seems interesting to me, even an art deco aristocrat.
I briefly had a 1945 TH&C but found too many similarities with my BA (?) And perhaps a bit dull high register for settings.
What would be your advice on going to a Buescher Big B or earlier?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have an Aristocrat series 1 alto, and had a Big B tenor which I later sold, but only due to having too many horns. I love the Buescher sound. While its keywork is not the same as my 82z, for example, I don’t think you can really go wrong with either series 1 or 2 (big b). I haven’t tried any of the later Aristocrats.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Well, all of these are good instruments, but I suggest that if you are "tired of" a Balanced Action Selmer, you need to look elsewhere than your horn for inspiration. It's one of the very best saxophones ever made. Don't let the tyranny of small differences distract you from your real objectives.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am a little tired of my tenor Selmer Balanced action, despite all its qualities.
I am considering returning to a Martin commitee 3 (I had one from 1946 that I shouldn't have sold!) But the Buescher Big b seems interesting to me, even an art deco aristocrat.
I briefly had a 1945 TH&C but found too many similarities with my BA (?) And perhaps a bit dull high register for settings.
What would be your advice on going to a Buescher Big B or earlier?
I'd look for the one in the best condition and the best value, I wouldn't concern myself too much in the differences between those models, they all play like great bueschers. And the ergos even until the 156 are pretty similar overall

·
Registered
52 Martin Commitee 3 baritone, 38 BA Selmer Tenor, 58 Super dynaction Buffet Alto, 28 Martin soprar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, all of these are good instruments, but I suggest that if you are "tired of" a Balanced Action Selmer, you need to look elsewhere than your horn for inspiration. It's one of the very best saxophones ever made. Don't let the tyranny of small differences distract you from your real objectives.
Your message made me think about my "moods".
in fact, the Covid period which in France canceled everything (concerts, projects, recordings) may have diverted me from good musical practice in favor of rumination on the material .....
I keep my BA.
A big thank-you ! (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts