Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking for a bari piece that is free-blowing, loud and rocks. Metal or rubber dosen't matter. What say ye?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
start all exploration re loud and rockin' with a rico metalite. Brilliant product on bari for cheap cheap cheap

·
Registered
923 Posts
Not a bari player, but I was in a ToP-style R&B band back in the mid-'90's. Guy who played bari was using a Wolfe Tayne bari mouthpiece, and that thing was still the biggest, loudest, honkin'est sound I've ever heard on a baritone.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,044 Posts
MyMartinTenor nailed it when he said Rico Metalite. I've played one for years. Great projection and very free blowing. If it has too much edge for your liking, its Graftonite cousin is just as good. Both are cheap, so you can get both for less than it costs for 1 other mouthpiece.

I have lots of other mouthpieces for my baris, including lovely vintage Bergs (both HR and metal) but always come back to the Rico. Don't believe what mouthpiece snobs tell you. You don't have to spend a fortune on a mouthpiece to get a great piece. These Ricos are sleeper pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,339 Posts
I have lots of other mouthpieces for my baris, including lovely vintage Bergs (both HR and metal) but always come back to the Rico. Don't believe what mouthpiece snobs tell you. You don't have to spend a fortune on a mouthpiece to get a great piece. These Ricos are sleeper pieces.
Ah what nonsense. As if Helen knows anything about lowly pitched saxes. :TGNCHK:

Oh, BTW, I have a really nice bronze berg refaced by the one and only Kay Siebold that I would like to sell you Dan.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,044 Posts
:lol:

Hey, have you seen my $200 sax that I picked up in a dive bar? Now that's lowly! :lol:

·
Registered
913 Posts
have to agree with RICO METALLITE for nothin' but loud and honkin' if you want any other use though it may be limited. RPC makes a nice bari piece but also on the other end of the price spectrum.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Classic hard rubber duck bill Berg, if you can find one! Or, RPC and Ron will work with you until you get the sound you want.
Pricing is not bad either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,339 Posts
Hey, have you seen my $200 sax that I picked up in a dive bar? Now that's lowly! :lol:
Certainly lowly to brag about it (he, he).

Assuming that Dan lacks common sense to buy my Berg and opt for a Metalite instead, I would be curious to know what opening you Metalite folks would recommend for Dan (and others). I haven't quite a much success with a B7. I agree that it is a complete steal for the money, but it doesn't quite match the descriptions in this thread. While the most likely explanation is my ineptitude, I have wondered whether the people who rave about Metalites go for the big openings. After all it is a high baffle piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
brasscane -- mine's an M9 (.120 tip), and I'm searching for one of the M11's (.130 tip) they used to make. So yeah, bigger tips for me on metalites.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I recently had a custom bari piece made for me, modeled off a Vandoren Jumbo Java. It has a JB Weld Baffle and a .135 tip. Metalites (I have 2) don't even come close, although they're a great bargain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts