Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a back up saxophone that is on the same or higher level then my Yas23. From what I hear the yas23 is a heck of a horn, but right now I haven't figured out to get my tone to where I want it. Also the reason for a back up horn if I have one in the shop the next one would be there for me to play on. A couple of my choices were the Selmer SAS280 la voix, allora vienna black nickel, or jupiter 869 nickel plated sax? I don't know which one is on the same level or plays better then my yas23?

Also has anybody tried out the Kenny G line of saxes?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another sax I found was a Keilwerth st90 sax?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looking for around 800-2300. I was going to buy from music123 and pay for it monthly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
With a top end of $2,300, there are quite a few professional vintage alto's that you could buy. But that's if you're open to vintage saxes :).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
If you really have that sorta money to spend, for goodness sake...bypass ALL of those makers you listed.

I understand, you may wanna buy a NEW horn...but, holy crap....for that sort of budget, I echo VSG.

You can get you about a dozen different pre-1980's models.... top-shelf, top-notch, professional horns which would blow the doors off of any 23 (or any new horn priced at $2300).....

·
Registered
32 Posts
You know with your budget you should make your yas 23 the backup horn and buy a better one. Not saying you dont have a nice horn but with your price range you can upgrade.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
The concept of a " back-up " horn is a very strange one to me, if one is a touring pro-player , then I can understand it somehow ( if you go on a tour you might not want to risk that your horn is damaged or out of order while you are there where you might not have a technician to help you) if you are not a pro , the only reason why one would want to have a back up is that you go to play in dangerous neighbourhoods and don't want to be risking you main axe.
As an amateur player I go to play out once a week and that is the only time that I can enjoy, in public, playing my super 20 tenor (I take my HL sax alto, a Taiwanese horn and sometimes I take my Bauhaus Walstein Curved soprano too) now I occasionally sell a horn to finance my hobby and I am fortunate enough to have a large stable of horns that I could use as " Back ups" a lot of times.............but I don't .........because that would mean that that one day a week that I can enjoy playing my " main " horns with other people I would play another horn!

What I mean is, as an amateur you better concentrate on your " good " saxophone, whatever that is, play it often and inside out . If your horn by any unfortunate circumstance should need any repair , then many shops can lend you something for a week or two or go out and rent it , if you must, it will provide a back up at very little cost.

This way you can afford buying a better " main" horn and don't clutter your existence with too many things.

Mind you we are not talking GAS here, if you are affected by that there is no amount of logic that would prevent you to buy horns, but that is because you are a collector and those ( I am one too) don't follow any other logic that they want things for the sake of owning them (while making up all sorts of excuses to justify what is otherwise pure greed ).

Now a Yas 23 is hardly a horn which needs a back up, it is the epitome of the back up itself, most often, since they are not worth much, people keep them when they are ready to step up, should anything go wrong with the better saxophone that they have bought. They are unsophisticated workhorses and do their job well.

If you want a better saxophone, with the kind of money that you are talking about you should be able to get yourself a pretty good one, new , second -hand modern production or vintage.

I am not even going to attempt to tell you which, there are countless of threads praising this that or the other and we all have a favourite , if you do this and collect all the answers from all of us you end up with a list of all the names on the market, which still doesn't bring you anywhere.

MY only advise if to systemise your search and decide for one of the 3 categories New Horn, Second Hand modern production horn or Vintage Horn.

Once decided that, establish a budget. Then go the nearest place where you can find as much as possible in a manner of saxophones to try them out.

If anything catches your imagination buy it! Don't buy on line something that you cannot try just based on a name that someone has told you about .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
If it were me, I'd get the 23 regulated and hit the shed. If you can't get a good sound out of the 23, the problem's not the horn... Call it "wetware malfunction," "user error," "steering wheel gasket failure..." whatever you want to call it. The 23 is a good and fairly flexible horn. It won't give you the depth of tone that a top-end horn will, but YOUR sound will still sound like YOU on it. Every time I play one of my students' or pull out my old one, I'm amazed at the sound.

A different horn will leave you with the same core sound. It may be a bit brighter, more focused, fatter, etc., but you'd be hard pressed to change mouthpieces and find as LITTLE difference in sound as changing horns will give you. Of course, it's a DIFFERENT difference, but IMHO if you haven't figured out how to get your tone where you want it on a 23, shelling out for a new horn will:
A) be risky, and
B) be wasteful.

The reason for that is simple: if you haven't gotten VERY close to the sound you're after, you won't know what horn will get you the rest of the way there. It would be like buying really expensive glasses and lenses, but guessing at the prescription. You MIGHT get lucky, you MAY get in the ballpark, but really you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.

P.S. My tech hates me for this, because this particular horn is a pain to service, but I helped a student pick out an ugly looking King Cleveland alto on ebay for $90. It needed about $350 worth of work which my tech did really well. The horn is ridiculous. Gorgeous sound, fast action. Only the table keys are a pain. I'd trade my 23 for it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't trade my Series III for it, but I could see it stealing equal practice time from my Selmer if I had it around as a backup.

Once again, that's under $450 for a REAL PLAYER. If you have a teacher, maybe he/she can help you find a similar deal.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
One point that the OP made is that they have that sort of budget to spend IF they buy it from Music123 because of their in-house financing.

If this condition is indeed a prerequisite, many of the suggestions given are somewhat of a no go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
consider a step up from your yas23 instead.
you can probably bid for a 2nd hand Selmer SA 90 II or a Yanagisawa.
agree that we should try to work on our skills first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
One point that the OP made is that they have that sort of budget to spend IF they buy it from Music123 because of their in-house financing.

If this condition is indeed a prerequisite, many of the suggestions given are somewhat of a no go.
If that is indeed the pre-requisite and the OP can stretch the budget a little the Yamaha 62 II has to be the best money can buy at that particular shop with that kind of money

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,446 Posts
I have a Yamaha YAS-62, previously owned by a member of Irvin Mayfield's band (can be heard playing tenor on Jazz at Lincoln Center), like new condition, completely serviced, played at length by me, no dings/dents/"pings" at all, total of three scratches (all minor), maybe 2 weeks worth of pad wear (what you'd expect from a pro player after 2 weeks of use) with G1 neck. I've played it for 4 or 5 hours, setting it up and making sure adjustment is perfect, tightening up neck & anything that needed any attention whatsoever.

Like new case included, stock mpc included, original end cap included.

PM for price (seems inappropriate to post it to this thread).

Possibly worth mentioning, in an argumentative context: this was traded this to me for 2 JS Crescents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts