Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I blow a Dukoff D6 on Alto. I am satisfied with my current set-up.
I would like to purchase a back-up mouthpiece that would have similar qualities as the Dukoff, the edge to hold my own with the guitar and synthersizers. If possible in hard rubber, but, I am willing to go metal with the back-up.

I am looking to go no higher than $225.
I will be using a Buecher B4. Until I can get a Cannonball.
I have played since 1977. Was a Music Major played for a few years with day jobs on the side. Took a break, eight years, back to serious practice and just joined a band a couple of weeks ago.
I will be playing jazz standards, smooth jazz, funk and RnB.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I will test out any pieces suggested at some music stores.

Thanks
Reg

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grumps said:
If it's a back-up, why not buy the same piece? I've got a couple spares of my favorites.
Grumps,
I thought of that, but I wanted to get away from the metal if possible. If I can't find a back-up that I'm satisfied with I might have to.
Thanks,
Reg

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grumps said:
RPC high baffle then... but it won't be your back-up for long.
Grumps and trhummer,

Thanks for the RPC suggestion. I will also try out the RPC high baffle.

Reg

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
The RPC will cost you just a little more than your $225 limit (not much more, though). But the cost-to-quality ratio with these pieces is excellent; don't tell Ron C., but he could probably charge a lot more for these.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
I was going to say a Jumbo Java also...it has the same type of baffle as the Dukoff, but it's hard rubber and generally well made.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
I've recently tried the BergLarsen hard rubber, and they're about your price range I believe. Personally i love the big sound of this rather flexible piece (in my eyes). It has a shape that resembles metal pieces more than the other hard rubber pieces I play(ed) on. It has a rather similar feel to my metal piece. For me that would be a plus.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"I've recently tried the Berg Larsen hard rubber, and they're about your price range I believe. " Jolle.

Jolle,
I blew a Berg Larsen on tenor 80-82, before I switched to a Dukoff . I'll have to put Berg Larsen on my try list also.

Thanks,

Reg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts