Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've been playing a YAS-62 and have decided I'd like to have a tenor as well. There's a few out there right now in my price range, but since I'm more of a keyboard player I don't know what a good deal is, or the difference between makes and models. Here's what I've found that interest me:

Yamaha AD-TS1 for $600, probably non-negotiable, on consignment. In good repair seems to play very nicely.

Yamaha YTS-52 at a pawnshop, probably could get it for $800/900 since its been sitting there for a couple years and they seem ready to deal. I played it and all the notes sounded, seemed to play ok. The tech I talked to said since they are lightweight they tend to need work often.

Conn 34M, guy's asking $600 and might deal lower. Looks like he bought it and played it for a bit, then gave up. Looks like new condition in the pix but I haven't looked at yet. Says he paid $1700 for 5 years ago. I can't find much info on this model.

1951/52 Conn Naked Lady, asking $1000, might deal. Doesn't give a model number but says its been gone through recently and is in good playing condition. I've read that the Naked Lady designation doesn't pin down the model, but maybe the year does? I'm little hesitant getting a vintage horn for my first tenor, due to my lack of experience.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
591 Posts
for that price I would suggest you check out the conn naked lady. It should be a 10m model and 51/52 is still a very good vintage. Plus if it plays well from top to bottom it's a great deal.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would also go with the naked lady. I've got an FE Olds Ambassador that I'm really loving. I acquired it from a fellow member who sells saxes off of his site 2ndending.com. Great person to deal with and usually has a great array of saxes to look at.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got a email back from the guy with the Naked Lady. Appears he's raised his price to $1200, even though his ad says $1000. Not sure if I want to deal with him now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just got a email back from the guy with the Naked Lady. Appears he's raised his price to $1200, even though his ad says $1000. Not sure if I want to deal with him now.
That would be an ebay price for such a horn and you can't be sure it will stay in playing shape for too long. Maybe you should get in touch with member JayeSF who runs the site 2ndending.com, he should be able to get you a good deal on a player.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I play the new CE Winds Alpha 2 series tenor. WOW! Ice Storm finish as seen here on my avatar pic. Comes with 2 necks one being a power tone silver neck. Amazing all the way through. 1,029.00 and your in like flint.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi folks,

I've been playing a YAS-62 and have decided I'd like to have a tenor as well. There's a few out there right now in my price range, but since I'm more of a keyboard player I don't know what a good deal is, or the difference between makes and models. Here's what I've found that interest me:

Yamaha AD-TS1 for $600, probably non-negotiable, on consignment. In good repair seems to play very nicely.

Yamaha YTS-52 at a pawnshop, probably could get it for $800/900 since its been sitting there for a couple years and they seem ready to deal. I played it and all the notes sounded, seemed to play ok. The tech I talked to said since they are lightweight they tend to need work often.

Conn 34M, guy's asking $600 and might deal lower. Looks like he bought it and played it for a bit, then gave up. Looks like new condition in the pix but I haven't looked at yet. Says he paid $1700 for 5 years ago. I can't find much info on this model.

1951/52 Conn Naked Lady, asking $1000, might deal. Doesn't give a model number but says its been gone through recently and is in good playing condition. I've read that the Naked Lady designation doesn't pin down the model, but maybe the year does? I'm little hesitant getting a vintage horn for my first tenor, due to my lack of experience.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
You may want to spend a few hundred more and get a like new Yamaha used or even an older Selmer if it's in good shape.

The ergonomics on the 10M could be shocking. That new price seems high also.

I would stay away from the 52. Some are good I guess. I only played one.

Why not look for a used 62 since you are familiar with that horn on alto.

Well I just looked on ebay and I didn't know they were going for that much. I guess because they're a Mark VI copy.

For what they're asking you might as well get an 82 Z used if you can find one.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am partial to Yamaha, I've had good luck with them. I started on a YAS-23, played it six nights a week for a year in a smoky club, never had a single problem, then sold it for what I paid for it a few years later when I found the 62. The little music store where I found the AD-TS1 also had a 62 with a G1 neck (not sure what that really means but the guy said it like it was something good). It played really nicely and sounded much better that the TS1, but they're asking $2100, and at that price point a whole lot of other options open up.

The guy with the Conn 34M sent me an email and seems eager. Anyone know anything about that horn?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I am partial to Yamaha, I've had good luck with them. I started on a YAS-23, played it six nights a week for a year in a smoky club, never had a single problem, then sold it for what I paid for it a few years later when I found the 62. The little music store where I found the AD-TS1 also had a 62 with a G1 neck (not sure what that really means but the guy said it like it was something good). It played really nicely and sounded much better that the TS1, but they're asking $2100, and at that price point a whole lot of other options open up.

The guy with the Conn 34M sent me an email and seems eager. Anyone know anything about that horn?

Thanks
Personally I would look at those OTHER options before getting a vintage horn that may need as much work that may cost two thirds of what you pay for it.

I would forget about the 10M and leave it to more experienced tenor players who know exactly what they want.

For a little more money you could get a used Selmer Serie II that may be priced at $2500 but if you walk in there with the cash in this market you can get it for less.

And it just may be in excellent condition.

And if you like the horn you will at least know what you have.

The reason I say Selmer Paris is because the used 62's and 62 II's are near overpriced in my opinion.

I really don't know because I haven't been horn shopping in a few years.

But I've see more than one Selmer Serie II at or below what they're asking for Yamahas.

If you could find the rare Selmer Super Action 80 ( not the Serie II ) you can get one for $1700 or less.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Personally I would look at those OTHER options before getting a vintage horn that may need as much work that may cost two thirds of what you pay for it.

I would forget about the 10M and leave it to more experienced tenor players who know exactly what they want.

For a little more money you could get a used Selmer Serie II that may be priced at $2500 but if you walk in there with the cash in this market you can get it for less.

And it just may be in excellent condition.

And if you like the horn you will at least know what you have.

The reason I say Selmer Paris is because the used 62's and 62 II's are near overpriced in my opinion.

I really don't know because I haven't been horn shopping in a few years.

But I've see more than one Selmer Serie II at or below what they're asking for Yamahas.

If you could find the rare Selmer Super Action 80 ( not the Serie II ) you can get one for $1700 or less.
I also started on a YAS-62 and bought a Selmer Series II - it did not work out at all. If you are used to Yamaha, go for a Yamaha tenor. I finally swapped my Series II for an YTS-82z and it was like coming home after a hard and stormy journey. The YTS-62 is very similar to the 82z and will cause you the least amount of trouble going from alto to tenor. I have no opinion on the YTS-52 since that is a US only model.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the helpful advice. I've crossed everything off my list except the used YTS-82 I tried out and liked. Next stop is a couple local music stores that have decent stock and will let me blow a few. I'd like to try a Cannonball and a Yani (which may be out of price range). I'm also intrigued by the Barone's, but none of my sax buddies know much about them. Must be more of an east coast thing. I'll probably start another thread when I narrow things down some. Gracias!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts