Sax on the Web Forum banner

Looking at LA Sax big lip as upgrade

5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  ShiftyDigits 
#1 ·
Hello all,

New member long time player

Been playing for about 15 years, professionally since 2008. Full time musician and private teacher.

Owning too many saxes to know what to do with. But looking for new gigging horn.

Currently own but rarely play: Conn 10m tenor, 6m lady alto, New Wonder II C-Melody, off brand (jean baptise) soprano and bari, Chinese black satin alto, and even sponsered by the company vibrato playing their polycarbonate alto III.

As of now I am gigging with a selmer aristocrat student model as my "bar horn". De-lacquered, heavy patina, self engraved, new key touches. Over the years It's been through the ringer. Horrible falls, temperature extremes, always gotten it fixed by a professional shop and back to great playing condition.

Current tenor mpc. Dukoff 7. Though extremely pleased with the metalite 9 I just got for bari. Ordered one for tenor wich should be here soon.

I am considering a new tenor as my everyday gigging horn. LA Sax Big Lip on the warrior finish. I love that gross patina matte look. But that's not the most important factor.

I have read great things about the LA Sax horns. Even though they are Taiwanese they seem good quality.

What do you guys think about moving from the seller aristocrat to the LA Sax big lip? Current price for big lip that I can find is 1600 to 1900. My budget is capped close to 2000.

See less See more
#4 ·
I have used the Conn's for gigs and recording but don't like to take them to bars where they could be damaged or stolen. I've seen this happen too many times to my aristocrat. No matter how much you guard your Sax with your life something always seems to happen sooner or later.

To preserve the Conn's I hold them for studio time only or very special occasions.

Another reason is that the vintage horns feel like driving a vintage car. Sometimes slow, clunky, and without features (like high F# key) that I regularly use.

Also for the more modern music I play, it seem impractical to try to change the total character of these vintage horns.

So for a modern sounding, take to the bar gigs sax, what do you guys think?

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I gig with my Conns all the time, but if you're not happy with doing that, that's fine.

I'd look for a secondhand Borgani. Dr G might be able to suggest where you'd find one.

#8 ·
If you've played the horn, like it, and know that's what you really want. One of these sold back in December on Reverb for $1065 lightly used so I'd be hard pressed to drop $2k on one just to play $50 bar gigs on it. If you are just looking for a gigging horn that you don't want to worry much about there are lots of choices in the $800 - $1500 range. There's a Cannoball and an RS Berkeley in the marketplace section here right now and a black lacquered Barone that just sold for $800.

#9 ·
Played a bar gig with my Silversonic tenor and a big drunk guy starts harassing us to play Pink Floyd songs near the end of the night. The police had to come and talk to the guy and he calmed down. Regardless, I was really worried a fight would break out and I think I was more concerned about damaging the horn than even me taking a hit. I think it is a good idea to have a horn that you do not care as much about for bar gigs.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. This will be a horn that I will be playing at almost all gigs. The selmer aristocrat I am playing currently cost me 700 when I bought it used about 6-7 years ago. My big question is has anyone had experience with the LA Sax horns? Quality, tone, etc... are they worth the 1500-2000 they are priced at?

The selmer aristocrat has seen me through many hundreds of gigs. I was pleased with the tone for a while but feel like I'm constantly trying to chase that battle using countless mouthpiece/Reed/lig combos. Which I know I'm never going to win theoretically. And I know... practice, practice, practice. I feel as if I've taken this horn to its limitations.

I'd like to step up to a better horn to gig with for 2000$.

Bright, edgy, fast, powerful, durable...

#11 ·
#15 ·
I can't speak to the alto's, but I have an LA sax soprano in black that plays surprisingly well.

As an additional note - as far as having a bar horn a Jupiter would be a really good option. They play really well - are bright - and the ergos are very good. Better yet it's easy to score one for less than $500 that's in excellent condition.

My alto doesn't get much play time since I'm primarily a sop/bari/bass player - but my Jupiter alto is the same model I had back in college (although a different horn because I was stupid and sold it) and It's been really great.

#16 ·
I've tried Jupiter's and not overly enthusiastic about them. I'm really looking to get something that is an upgrade, yet not overly expensive. I don't have a problem with student models. I play one currently as my bar horn yet am still craving the next step. I like the sound of yani's, but cost is prohibitive. P mauriat is something I've always drooled over. Also have an opportunity to possibly get a Yamaha z in the next year or so if things pan out.

#17 ·
I'm finally relevant! I play a big lip tenor (with the sexy black nickel warrior finish). I got mine for $1000 when they were clearing out for the big lip X series and I'm not sure if they're making any more of the original big lip series. They are very bright, but not edgy (unless you want them to be). I think it sounds great and outplays any horn that I've played under $4000. They are not perfect though. The set-up leaves some to be desired (not enough glue on cork/pads). The brace seems to be pulling back from the bell a little, there are imperfections inside the neck. . . But I've been playing it solidly for about 2 years and i get compliments on the sound and appearance frequently. Just be ready to do some quick fixing. I play a link 8* on it and i find many pieces to play too bright on the big lip. Good luck on your search!

#20 ·
To be honest, I don't think the LA Sax will be a step up....more to the side (if not down). The build quality of these horns leaves a lot to be desired and for $2K, you can get a pretty decent used Yamaha YTS 61 or 62 if you're prepared to do some research and be patient. They're nice, reliable, ergonomically satisfying, bright, easily serviced/repaired horns that'd be perfect for your needs.

#21 ·
I'd definitely recommend at least trying a CannonBall Big Bell Stone or Series one if you cant get your hands on a big lip. Since they are extremely similar stencils. And if you watch Ebay, you could probably get a Cannonball within your price-range. Don't get me wrong, I'd recommend LA sax at the price i got it to a student over a YTS-26 or Student model any day... but i also can't guarantee you won't get a lemon, and since the price has shifted a little bit, there are definitely other options... on the other hand though, They are very heavy, durable, well laid out (aside from the left pinky cluster, but that's just a modern horn pet-peeve) and it sounds great. I do have a little bit more trouble with harmonics/altissimo than on a Super-action 80 that i play frequently. But i also think my horn has a much rounder yet still bright tone. I've played a big-bell stone and the tone was identical, the key-work was the same but set much softer.

#22 ·
For $2k you can buy a lot of sax...So much you'll not want to take it to the bar either. I'm pretty sure a Selmer SA80 (Series 1 or 2) can be had used for around $2k - probably a nice yamaha, or Yani too. Especially if you're not wanting a "pretty" sax. There's plenty of ugly monsters out there for sale on a daily basis. It took a few years of searching but I got my MKVI for $1,800...Keep an ey out on Craigs list and other such sites.

#23 ·
Look into the Sax Dakota line. Made by the guy who started LA Sax, but these are MUCH better, IMO. I have one of their tenors and one of their sopranos, and they are KILLER. Well made, built like tanks, sound great, great intonation. I have played on a Mark VII in high school, and jobbed for many years with a Super 20 (a really nice one). The Sax Dakota is their equal or superior IMO. Loved the sound of the Super 20, but the Sax Dakota plays better in tune, and the altissimo just pops out.

#24 ·
I have a YTS-875 I'm trying to sell right now for 2200. The 62s in similar condition would be less than that, so I've avoid the LA Sax line altogether.1500-2000 should be more than enough for a 62, Yani 880, or possibly a Keilwerth SX90, which are all better horns than an LA Sax of any kind.

#25 ·
Bit of a necrothread here, and the OP has probably already bought whatever he was going to buy, but if I had a good 10M and a good 6M, I would buy one each of Conn "Shooting Star" alto and tenor as backups for the 10M and 6M. Basically same sound and acoustics, keywork almost identical, just with nickel plated keys and less fancy engraving and (in my opinion) generally lighter build.

Not really clear what kind of bar gigs these are, that require so much technique that those much-feared "vintage ergonomics" would materially slow you down, but at the same time you are afraid your instruments might get damaged or stolen. I've certainly played a lot of Mustang Sally on a 10M and a 12M.

For that matter, the very best backup for a 10M is another 10M, and 6M/6M. These things aren't Strads; there are a lot of them around.

"The only replacement for a DC-3 is....

another DC-3."

#26 ·
I'd stick with the Conn 10M. Put some of that money you budgeted for another horn into getting the Conn worked on if it needs it, and go with it. I wouldn't worry about using it on all gigs; it just takes a bit of attention and care to keep it from being damaged or stolen. I've been taking my MKVI to any and all gigs (into the hundreds by now), including bar gigs, for many years and never once had it damaged or even come close to having it stolen. The only damage it ever suffered was when I dropped it by accident out of its case at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.