Sax on the Web Forum banner

Looking at an ebay Martin Alto Sax ... help, please!

7K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  bruce bailey 
I'd also say give Junkdude a try. He allows returns and has quality vintage horns. Always assume an Ebay horn not sold by a known dealer will need a complete overhaul; and I'd put aside at least $350 for same. I'd actually go for a Handcraft over an Indiana, but only if the Handcraft had a front F and its original silver plate. Now I'm not going to recommend Ebay in this case, as I've stated in a related thread, but... some of the best deals still remaining are for Martin stencils. Trouble is, you have to be experienced in sorting them out, and the Catch 22 is once you ask a question about a horn here, you alert other potential bidders. No, I'd have the hubby buy you a horn from a dealer, and spare yourself the potential heartbreak, and expense, of gambling on Ebay for a sax.

CandyHearts said:
Hi, Grumps .... I didn't see your previous post. No sir, not really ... the first time I ever heard of a c-melody was within this past week, reading posts on this website.
Usually when folks buy C Melody saxes by mistake, they're looking for tenors, as most have a curved neck. Some vintage C Melody saxes have straight necks however, so it's best to be careful and ask how long the horn is without the neck attached should there be any doubt. If it's around 25", it's a C Melody. Many more experienced players have made this mistake when gambling on Ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.