Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could give me some advice about Dom's newer models of his DC Pro series as well as some of the other saxes he is selling. I was in his Salem shop today and tried a Conn 24M (very good tone except for the low D and C which was a little tough) and a Bridgecraft USA (had good though not impressive tone throughout all notes). I then asked what the next step up would be and he gave one of his DC Pro Boston Series. The DC, honestly, played beautifully. The tone was rich and much deeper than the other altos. I'm switching back to alto after playing the bari sax for a few years so the tone was very appealing to me.

I'm going off to college soon so I don't have much disposable income. I intend on playing in some of the school's bands, so nothing really professional. Dom's retiring soon so he's having a large clearance sale, and this sale is what attracted me to the shop in the first place. The DC is going for about $1,000 while the other two are going for about $500. So the question is: Does anyone have any experience with his recent horns? Are they much more prone to breaking? Does the tone wear out? Are they actually fine pieces of work?

I am aware that these horns are Tawain made and not always consistent. I was not sure if, after the better part of a decade (last post was in 2007), his stuff got any better.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you're in Boston area another option is to check craigslist. There are lots of Yamaha YAS23s on there at the moment: a very solid sax that holds its value well, and can be bought for well under $1000 leaving plenty of cash for a great mouthpiece, reeds etc.

I have no idea how the DC will hold up, but I know that the moment you leave the store its resale value will drop in half or worse, so if it doesn't hold up well you'll lose a lot of money.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I think those are probably made in mainland China. I had a Monique for 10 years and it was a decent horn. I think $1000 is WAY too much for that horn. Play a vintage horn and you could score something for 5-600. I am selling a Beaugnier Duke for $750 that is in exceptional shape.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Honestly, play some well set up alto horns that will sound as good or better and retain their value reasonably well., for under 1K. That is likely a mainland China horn, though I could be wrong. and it may well be a good horn, but Ive never seen a Chinese horn that didn't use cheap pads and springs. But then ive only seen a couple.

In eastern mass you have many options, as well as good sellers here. See JayePDX and Bruce Bailey and Kritavi

If they are truly Taiwan made, generally, that's a relatively good sign all things equal.

(sorry about the 'honestly'; it seems to be a new part of the millenials gratuitous verbiage/vernacular ... I couldnt help my self)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,236 Posts
Folks, this thread is a year old and the OP has never posted again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts