Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, its me again, still looking for tenors. I've pretty much covered the entire metro area. The last stop was our biggest local store where the guy put everything he had into my hands and asked me not to look at the horn but just play it. Outside of the Selmer that was way out of my price range I was quite partial to the Cannonball Vintage. I liked the sound and feel of the CB better then the Yam's and Yani's which were quite a bit more money.

It was an unlacquered Vintage Reborn. Certainly not subtle. He was asking $2300 new but said he would match any online prices. Frankly, I was not crazy about the aged look, seemed kind of gimicky. How do these hold up?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The aged look, or cannonballs in general? I have a 12 year old Cball and it's perfectly fine mechanically and cosmetically, but I have a black nickel plated horn.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the look of an aged horn, as long as it's earned it. To purposely make an instrument look distressed seems like a gimmick to me. They're doing it to guitars now, to. Anyhow, as much as I like shiny things I really liked playing that horn. You must like yours since you've kept it for 12 years. I'll take that as a thumbs up on Cannonball :salute:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,961 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
If you have actually played the horn and really like it, buy it! I have a Cannonball alto now over 11 years old, and a tenor that's five or six years old. They have both been great sounding reliable horns. Buy one you have actually tried because horns are like snowflakes they're all the same but all different. Don't blow the demo and walk away with one still wrapped in the shipping plastic wrap.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gosh, you could get a Barone Tenor for a lot less......
I am intrigued by the Barones and they do seem like a great deal, but since I'm primarily a piano player I don't trust my sax experience enough to buy a horn online that I have never played, or even seen in person. They don't seem to be that well know around here. One of my gigs is playing keys with a progressive big band with a great sax section of established players and out of the four only one them, the youngest of the four, was familiar with them. He had heard they were great horns but had no first hand experience either.

The other thing is that by buying local I'll be able to establish a relationship with the store. They said they would have their best tech set it up for me and after 3 or 4 months I could bring it back in for a tune-up. Maybe I'm old school but these kind of relationships have proven invaluable over the years. I've been buying my keyboards from the same guy for about 25 years and he'll loan me anything I want no questions asked if I get in a jam. He's always up front with me, gives me the best deal without a bunch of sales BS and has often talked my out of buying things that weren't really all that great, even when he had them on the racks. Be nice to have that with a sax person as well.

I've been trying to find someone around town who has a Barone but so far no luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts