Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight at the beginning of his second set Joey DeFrancesco comes out carrying a Tenor Sax. I’m thinking why is he carrying Troy Roberts Horn. As it turns out It’s Joey’s horn. Troy Roberts moved from Tenor to upright bass and Joey D played a killing version of the ballad My Ship. He sounded fabulous. Obviously known as the king of the B3 and a very accomplished trumpet player now he is adding sax to his arsenal. What an amazing talent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
The guy is a musical monster. I'll look forward to hearing him play sax. I got an early appreciation for good organ players when most every group in the early '60s had a B3 player and organs were on most every record that we learned. Its incredible now that a guy can bring in a small, light keyboard and it can sound like not only a Hammond organ but every other kind, the early compact organs like the 'Farfisa', any kind of natural or electric piano, a string section or most anything else you can think of. But when it gets down to the real nitty-gritty, you can see that real Hammond B3 on stage behind Joey - no 'play organs' for the real masters. He was here not too long ago in a wonderful small venue I play at once or twice a year but I had to work that night and missed it. Next time for sure!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Wow. I've seen him live a couple of times and was already knocked out by his many talents, the guy is indeed a musical monster!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
He is also a very accomplished trumpet player

few years ago I had the pleasure of attending a concert here in Amsterdam with the same group show here

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
This is actually uncanny; some years back ('80s) I went to a summer street festival and heard the 'Danny Gatton' blues band, which had a great organ player named Bill Holloman. Much to my surprise, he whipped out a tenor and took a great sax solo - I mean great in every respect. Then later, he grabbed a trumpet and wailed on it. I was absolutely stunned - to be so great on your main instrument but yet to so good on other completely different instruments that you could be a star on any of them...its just incredible. So what is it with these organ guys? :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
they are organ-ized

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Danny Gatton’s bands were incredible, hands down. He did a great album with Joey DeFrancesco as well.

This is actually uncanny; some years back ('80s) I went to a summer street festival and heard the 'Danny Gatton' blues band, which had a great organ player named Bill Holloman. Much to my surprise, he whipped out a tenor and took a great sax solo - I mean great in every respect. Then later, he grabbed a trumpet and wailed on it. I was absolutely stunned - to be so great on your main instrument but yet to so good on other completely different instruments that you could be a star on any of them...its just incredible. So what is it with these organ guys? :)

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Played alongside him a number of years ago with a big band, and he was set to play organ the entire gig but on the very last tune, without having told anyone previously, he whips out his trumpet and played on the last tune and of course it was ridiculously good and the audience and band was just completely blown away. He truly is a multi-instrumental genius!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread I was wondering what it's doing in the Bb Tenor section. Then I opened it up and there he is playing a tenor. I've seen him live on the organ, but he didn't play the sax or trumpet. What a surprise. Amazing the talent some musicians have!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
The guy is a musical monster. I'll look forward to hearing him play sax. I got an early appreciation for good organ players when most every group in the early '60s had a B3 player and organs were on most every record that we learned. Its incredible now that a guy can bring in a small, light keyboard and it can sound like not only a Hammond organ but every other kind, the early compact organs like the 'Farfisa', any kind of natural or electric piano, a string section or most anything else you can think of. But when it gets down to the real nitty-gritty, you can see that real Hammond B3 on stage behind Joey - no 'play organs' for the real masters. He was here not too long ago in a wonderful small venue I play at once or twice a year but I had to work that night and missed it. Next time for sure!
Yes, a musical monster. I couldn't have said to better.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I get to work with many of the great Jazz artists and once I was talking to Joey and I asked him, "What do you do you think when you're siting in the car in traffic? Do you visualize scales or things like that?"

He said, "There are no scales" and we all laughed.

All around cool dude!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts