Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully transcribed the harmonica solo in Long Train Running to alto sax. I can get the first few notes and the last few notes but I am struggling trying to get it all and I need to play it in 2 weeks ..Thanks

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I used to try playing a solo on this song on the alto sax. I did not try to emulate the harmonica solo played on the original - that concept did not add up for me. But my attempts at solos on this song, using the alto sax, pretty much stunk.

Eventually I started using my soprano sax, and changed my approach to think like I was playing an electric guitar solo, and this has worked much better for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
It's basically just a minor blues played with a shuffle rhythm.
Great song though and Tom Johnston's voice makes the Doobies for me and not that later stuff with McDonald or whatshisname.

I think from memory the solo chords are the same as the verse chords.

Gm7 / Cm7 / Gm7 / Eb7 D7 / Gm7

Eb7 and D7 are the turnaround back to Gm7

It's really not much use knowing the solo without knowing the harmony chords.

The solo only exists in the context of the minor blues harmony chords.

The solo is just a basic minor blues solo and there is really no need to stick to a note for note copy of it especially as it's a harmonica solo.

If someone knows how to solo over a minor blues then they can make up their own solo and do what they want.

I would play minor blues licks with a rock feel and emulate the harmonica trill just before the turnaround with a sax trill or with even a bit of an Adderley trill if I could make it fit in and maybe finish with a bit of Altissimo.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Wasn't the sax player Cornelius Bumpus? That cat could blow, sing and play the keys. B

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
I've found that in this situation if you get the first couple notes right, and get the ending right, you can play anything you want in the middle and the audience won't know the difference. In this case just nail those long notes in the beginning of the solo and you'll be fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
Gm7 / Cm7 / Gm7 / Eb7 D7 / Gm7

Eb7 and D7 are the turnaround back to Gm7

G minor blues scale over the Gm7 (G dorian or other minor scales work quite well too depending on phrasing) C minor blues scale over the Cm7 (C dorian or other minor scales work quite well too depending on phrasing) back to the G minor blues scale over the Gm7 and the G minor blues scale also works quite well over the Eb7 and D7 turnaround that leads back into the Gm7.

Throw in some sustained blues notes at the start and end and some blues trills just before the Eb7 and D7 turnaround.

Lots of other ideas can also be thrown in http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/

Transpose for Alto, Tenor etc and depending on what key the band plays it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts