Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great practice session yesterday. I spent an hour playing the minor second between low B-flat and low B like Steve Lacy advocated in the chapter Tight Corners of his book Findings. It was not boring at all. Loud/quiet, vibrato/no vibrato, tonguing/not tonging, etc.; it's all there in the minor second interval. I've been reading a lot about shakuhachi players and listening to their music. They have inspired me to blow Ro-buki. I usually play long tones for about half an hour per day anyway, but yesterday was a special practice. Focusing on the sound, the breath, and the tone of just two notes for an hour was very worthwhile. I plan to do this practice once per week with different intervals. If you haven't tried this, I suggest that you do.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to try this tonight. I'd love to find Lacy's book, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore (at least at a reasonable price).

What do you mean by Ro-Buki?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ro is the lowest note on a Japanese shakuhachi (end-blown flute) and Buki means to blow. Shakuhachi players spend a lot of time perfecting that low note and all of its subtleties. Unfortunately, Findings is out-of-print again. There are two editions available. New, it cost about $70, so it will probably cost about $100 used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts