1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
My father used a colorful Neapolitan proverb which stated that it is better to have the doctor to assist you (in time of grave need) than sharing the same space with a violin beginner.

It can be very testing to have to endure the company of someone whom is into an ear-piercing instrument and may not be particularly good at it.

Also, your “ drones” are very high pitched sounds too, I used to practice with more Indian drones made of chords as in a tampura ( which are very relaxing).

Of course the advise would be to play softly and maybe to use a mute with a microphone and headphones (the only way in which the mutes really work) , still, a person in the same apartment will be able to hear you and will get annoyed all the same.

you can find an open spot somewhere or an abandoned factory.

Find here a tone generator which generates more pleasant drones

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/orchestronDroneGenerator.php

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My post was mostly in jest. My wife did politely asked "Dear, when do you think you'll be done practicing like that? I may need to go shopping for a while."

I'm using an audio tone generator used for testing and tuning loudspeakers.

Thanks for the other resources, Milandro. I like the mynoise.net site.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
I use an el cheapo electronic keyboard, pick a sound I like, and tape down a key with Scotch tape.
Wow, great idea. Now why didn't I ever think of that? Thanks, turf. Seriously... I'm going to do this. You could even tape down 3 or more keys and have a chord drone to work with.

(and yes, I will do this when my wife is out shopping for groceries)

·
Registered
821 Posts
My post was mostly in jest. My wife did politely asked "Dear, when do you think you'll be done practicing like that? I may need to go shopping for a while."

I'm using an audio tone generator used for testing and tuning loudspeakers.

Thanks for the other resources, Milandro. I like the mynoise.net site.

I use the TE tuner app, also for great metronome.
It has drone tones, but even better has pitch matching in many instrument voices and works best with headphones.
When you play, it drones.
When you stop, it stops.
It’s brilliant.
Worth every penny.
Dials in long tones amazingly fast and well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Along the lines of what Milandro said, it’s better to use lower pitched drones. And the drone should be two or three tones (as the Tuning CD” does). From low to high: root fifth octave or root fourth octave.

I will check out the TE tuner app.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts