Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get into working on long tones, and could use some feedback. Right now I'm just doing them very basic (no volume changes or vibrato).

Here's a track of B2 to E1. 400TH&C alto, Great Neck Tonalin 4, ZZ 2 1/2 reed.

Any observations or suggestions? There's definitely a bit of wavering in the tone.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Your long notes are pretty good, some very light wobbles in there especially as breath support begins to die out. You need to keep the diaphragm in action right up until the end.

I think it would be useful to do more interesting long note practice now, involve pitch, articulation, dynamics. Just playing plain vanilla long notes can be so boring you lose concentration, and at that point you gain less from the exercise.

Some other exercises here:

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-tone-exercises

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been focusing on vanilla since I haven't done much in the way of long tones in the past. Especially going UP the scale from B2 (I live in an apartment and I'm trying to be a courteous neighbor).

Yeah, I've looked over the exercises on that site. I certainly want to work on that vibrato one (as noted in another thread I especially struggle getting it to work at all in the upper register. I'm also aiming for that rapid Hodges-style vibrato, and just can't QUITE it up to speed).

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
I I'm also aiming for that rapid Hodges-style vibrato,
Johnny Hodges 5.7 vibratos per second (0.2 slower than David Sanborn)

Practising slow and concentrating on the evenness, as in many things, is the secret to doing it fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts